33. the very secret diary

     HERMIONE REMAINED IN THE HOSPITAL WING FOR SEVERAL WEEKS

     HERMIONE REMAINED IN THE HOSPITAL WING FOR SEVERAL WEEKS. There was a flurry of rumor about her disappearance when the rest of the school arrived back from their Christmas holidays, because of course everyone thought that she had been attacked. So many student filed past the Hospital Wing trying to catch a glimpse of her that Madam Pomfrey took out her curtains again and placed them around Hermione's bed, to spare her the shame of being seen with a fury face.

Harry, Ron and Harper went to visit her every evening. When the new term started, Harper did her best to pay attention in every class and write down whatever she thought Hermione found important, which was probably everything.

"If I'd sprouted whiskers, I'd take a break from work," Ron said one evening.

"Don't be silly, Ron, I've got to keep up," Hermione replied, looking at the notes Harper gave her. "Wow, Harper, I'm impressed. You even managed to keep up with History of Magic."

Harper beamed proudly. "All for you, 'Mione."

Hermione leaned closer to them, her voice barely a whisper. "I don't suppose you've got any news leads?"

"Nothing," Harry said gloomily.

"I was so sure it was Malfoy," Ron said, for about the hundredth time.

"It would have been too easy," Harper muttered.

"What's that?" Harry asked, pointing to something gold sticking out from under Hermione's pillow.

"Just a Get Well card," Hermione replied hastily, trying to poke it out of sight, but Ron was too quick for her. He pulled it out, flicked it open and read aloud.

"To Miss Granger, wishing you a speedy recovery, from your concerned teacher, Professor Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honorary Member of the Dark Force Defence League and five times winner of Witch Weekly's Most-Charming-Smile Award."

Ron looked up at Hermione, disgusted.

"You sleep with this under your pillow?"

But Hermione was spared answering by Madam Pomfrey sweeping over with her evening close of medicine.