Chapter 2: In Which a Murder Occurs, and Joy has a Startling Amount of Tea

Miss Joy Lucas would have to admit she had become used to mourning, she had spent most of her 30 years in one stage of grief or another. Although, her near-professional skills in dealing with grief in a healthy way did nearly nothing when her dearest friend and brother was lying cold in his own dining room and the murderer still walked among them. 50 guests, 50 suspects, one murder. She was glad that she will not remember the sight of his body, but she will also not remember her last words to him- were they "I will see you in the morning?" well, that was a lie. Or did they have a conversation later in the night? Did he tell her that someone was trying to kill him? That this would be the last time they could laugh together? Did he impart some nugget of wisdom? Did she know who killed him? Did she kill him? Her thoughts spiraled out of control in the darkness of her rooms, she knew what was happening- she was having a panic attack- but she couldn't stop the spiral and assault of her thoughts.

The next morning, the investigation began. And Miss Joy Lucas, like any respectable mother figure, pulled herself together and made tea. She made lots and lots of tea. She straightened her dark brown sweater- the darkest clothing she owned- and was immediately greeted by another one of the guests.

"Miss Morrison, good morning. Would you like some tea?" Monika Morrison's eyes widened and she nodded, following Joy timidly to her little tea room.

"I, um, well Miss Lucas I heard you were missing last night- and I was wondering where you were?"  The poor dear looked so uncomfortable, so Joy offered a kind smile before answering.

"I know I left dinner early, and most likely spent the night alone. But other than that, I was not aware I had been considered missing."

"Do you by any chance have information about the other guests? I'm trying to compile as much information as I can- did you notice anything last night?"

"Not off the top of my head, but give me two shakes of a lamb's tail and I can grab my notebook and let you know." Monika nodded and Joy scurried off to retrieve her notes before sitting once more. "All I have from last night is that Tanith Brink has been writing in her room, I saw that Lena Morris has been packing up their clothes and that Nikita Rose has been chatting on the telephone. I'm afraid it isn't much, but its what I have."

Monika thanked her, and rattled off notes of her own, her list far surpassing Joy's- and Joy nodded as she wrote everything down. The two parted with a small smile and more knowledge than before.

Joy made her rounds, tea tray in hand, to as many rooms as she could- making sure to check in on Grey and give her a hug for comfort and the promise to return soon. As she talked to more and more of the other guests, no new information regarding herself came to light, but more and more distressing news came to light.

Her longest conversation was with Mr. Alastair Alverez- the two had quite literally run into each other on a stairwell. He had been searching (re snooping)  around the manor, and Joy had been making her way down to the gardens. He thanked her for the tea, and the two sat shoulder to shoulder on the stairway.

"Did we speak last night? I've become quite distressed with the fact that I cannot remember much of last night's events, and I have heard that both you and I were missing. I have been hoping you know something that I do not."

He just shook his head, "I'm afraid I don't know, and I doubt that it is likely- I have some missing gaps as well. Do you by any chance know anything anybody has said about me?"

She pulled out her notebook, now nearly full, "Only that you have been missing, and that you and Miss Tracy had been close with Grey. They may have more answers if you have not yet spoken with them. And please do let me know if you find out anything more about myself, it's causing more distress than I'm particularly equipped to handle at the moment."