Eleven (Part 1)

Eleven (Part 1)

Smoth walks with his jaw clenched as he takes me to the area they have for people who don't want to fight. He opens the door, and eyes bore into me as I stare into the room emptily.

"You'll stay with the Domespeople," He says, his voice tight.

"For how long?" I ask, my gut twisting from guilt.

He looks at me, his eyes hard and watery, emotions swimming past in his irises. Through gritted teeth he tells me, "For as long as you deserve."

He stays looking at me and I shakily take a step forward. The people's eyes still stare me down and watch my every movement. The door slams shut behind me, and I turn to look at him. It slightly moves, as if pressure is applied to it, and shifts again, the pressure being removed.

I look around. The room reminds me of a Doctor's office inside the Dome but with corners and twenty times as big. Long tables with attached benches are in long rows with people sitting at them. A counter with a window is placed on the right wall, and people stand on either side of it, one side handing something out and the other receiving it.

Food.

Something else catches my attention and makes my heart race in my ribcage.

Everyone is wearing white clothing.

"Who are you?" A man sitting at one of the tables asks me.

I look around the room, and then focus my eyes on the floor. I start to feel like the room is closing in on me. I shut my eyes tight and take a breath.

I've been close to death. Shot at. Faced my own psychotic mother. So why can't I stand up in front of a bunch of people I don't even know and answer one simple question? Why do I choose now to be insecure and nervous?

"Who are you?" He repeats, harsher.

I drop my hands to my sides and stand up straight, trying to look tougher then I am.

"My name is Eenralla Land."

Whispers take over the silence and glances are shared.

"Ream's kid," The man says matter-of-factly, nodding twice. He stands slowly, and the crowd quickly falls silent.

He seems to be older, older than anyone I've ever seen. He has a streak of gray in his hair and lines around his mouth. He's built like a Domesperson, but why is he so old?

He looks at me ferociously, and starts to walk toward me quickly.

I take two steps back, and he is in my face. My muscles tense and want to recoil, but I set my jaw and glare back at him.

He starts to laugh.

My face twists in confusion, and he slaps me on the shoulder.

"My name is Evan. Welcome to a civilized civilization," He laughs, the people in the room laughing with him. "I'll show you around."

He turns and leads me past the eyes of the people. The door we walk through at the back of the room opens automatically with a metallic sliding sound. It shuts with a 'click' behind us as we continue walking down the hall that had been hidden by it. The green walls are covered with doors like the hallway with all of the cells Peter and I had been locked up in. They're each a painted a different color and made of wood. We pass by several of them in silence. Evan speaks up when we're half way down the hall.

"You don't want to fight?"

I look around, thinking. This place is for the people that don't want to rise up against the Dome Government. I never told anyone what I wanted to do. I was just put here because of what happened with Doug...