C H A R L O T T E

I shower in the arena, washing away all the sweat and dirt from the practice that had just ended. Turning off the hot water, I grab my towel from the hook, drying off a bit before wrapping it around me and wringing out my wet hair. Everyone smiles and greets me as I walk past, and I keep the smile plastered on my face as I walk through the locker room towards mine.

"You know, I'm not going to drag you to come tonight," I say as I change into a fresh pair of underwear, shorts, and a t-shirt, looking to my right where Reed is standing, doing the same thing with her towel wrapped around her head.

"And let you and Maddie kill each other? I don't want that on me," She sighs and I instantly feel guilty for constantly fighting with Maddison. I look around the room quickly and spot her wet black hair falling down her bare back, turning away before she sees me even looking in her general vicinity.

Although Maddison and I both keep our dislike towards one another under wraps while Reed is around, neither of us can control our tempers when she isn't. I think about ditching the party tonight and staying home, just so that Reed can have a night in as well. I know that Xander and Farris will be at the party tonight because they're always there with Reed to make sure she doesn't throw herself off of a second-floor balcony after dealing with Maddison and I.

Xander and I aren't close, or even friends really, but there's something about him that seems to draw me in. Reed constantly tells me that it's the "thrill of the chase" that I desire because he seems to be the only guy who doesn't seem to want me or fight like hell to get me.

I decide for once, not to be selfish and make up my mind. "I'm not going out tonight," I tell her casually as if I hadn't just decided that in my head moments ago. She turns quickly to me with shock on her face.

"What? Are you serious? Why?" She asks, now more than curious as to my reasoning but I don't want to make her feel guilty for me not going. I could use a night in anyway, as I have a pile of homework that I haven't been able to get through by myself, so I hope to find someone in the library that's willing to help like I usually do last minute.

I shrug. "You know I haven't finished my calc project yet," I say honestly while I sit on the bench and wait for Reed to finish packing her bag so that we can walk out together. Xander waves to Reed from where he and Farris sit on the bleachers, looking like they're getting ready to leave, and I smile inwardly even though I know that his wave isn't directed towards me. She smiles and waves back and I stand beside her, wishing I could do the same without embarrassing myself.

 She smiles and waves back and I stand beside her, wishing I could do the same without embarrassing myself