Prologue

Ryder
I hissed as the man approached me, smiling creepily and carrying a knife. I knew better than to try and bite him. Last time I bit in of these mutts, I'd ended up with a huge cut along my abdomen, not to mention puking for hours thanks to the rancid taste of their blood. I didn't know how long I'd been in this room, but I knew I wouldn't last much longer without feeding.

The man chuckled as I tried to shuffle away from his large frame. "You should know better than to try and get away, boy."

"You should know better than to try and mess with a clan of vampires," I snapped back.

"Your clan is ash in the wind." I flinched. He's lying, I told myself. "Soon, you will be too."

I wasn't afraid of death—Hell, I was practically already dead, as I'd been for the past four years of my life. I was afraid of what would come before it.

~~~~~

Collin

I stalked through the trees, silent as a mouse. My wolf was at ease so far, loving the fresh mountain air that filtered through my snout. As I walked lazily, I kept my eyes pealed for anything out of the ordinary.

My father, Alpha Shaun, had received reports of an attack on a vampire clan a weeks days back from a neighboring pack. The packs alpha had said he didn't know of the clan attacked, but knew rouges were the culprit. Apparently, it had been bloody and gruesome, leaving the whole clan in piles of ash. My dad had told me to go scouting with the scout team ever since. He wanted to make sure that the rouges didn't try and attack us. Whenever a group of rouges attacked anything of the supernatural nature, werewolf packs near them were usually the next target.

There was a snap and rustling in the trees, about a mile ahead. Snarling lowly, I made my way towards the sound. When I was close, I picked up the scent of about five wolves, all rouges. Rouges had distinct scent— each one was intertwined with a musty, ashy scent, leaving them easy to identify.

I snorted at the awful stench of rouge, and howled for the others. It was time to go hunting.