Chapter 1

Hermione was almost running on the corridors to the Great Hall. She slept more than she planned to after she spent the night working on the magic coins for the DA training. Her head  ached from the lack of sleep and her stomach was protesting of hunger. She was still hoping she will have enough time to eat a proper breakfast.

When she was about to step into the Great Hall, someone with the same intention knocked her. Hermione tripped and almost fell back, but two strong arms caught her and helped her regain her balance. She looked up and saw Fred Weasley, one of the twins, smiling to her.

'Are you okay, Granger?' he asks her and she suddenly feels her cheeks warming.

'Yes, thanks Fred!' she answers, trying to return his smile.

'I never thought I will live enough to see you coming here at this hour. What happened? The alarms stopped working today?' he giggled. 'Mind if I join you? I am pretty hungry too.'

'Sure, no problem.'

They sit next to each other at the Gryffindor table and start grabbing some food from the table with speed. They were eating so fast that they didn't have enough time to exchange words between bites, but they looked at each other smiling. At a moment, Hermione glanced at his hands by accident and chocked with a bite of scrambled eggs. His left hand was covered by dried blood from a few scratches. It was, of course, Umbridge's "art".

'Fred, your hand looks terrible!' she protested after taking her breath back.

'Oh, this. It's nothing, don't worry about me. Just try not to get one too,' he said, avoiding her eyesight.

'Nothing? Fred Weasley don't you dare to act brave with this one. It looks infected. Give me your hand.'

Hermione took out from her bag a little bottle with a transparent liquid and a napkin from the table. She slowly poured a few drops from the bottle on it and took Fred's hand in hers. She felt a nice chill running on her skin, making her heart beat faster, but she focused on his hand. When she touched his skin with the tissue, the boy jumped a little, but didn't protest. Fred was watching her carefully, however she was not sure if she was looking at what she was doing or at her.

When she was done, she put the napkin on the table, next to her plate and threw at the boy a mad look. But he smiled to her and his smile seemed to be spreading to her too, not letting her be mad at him.

'Thank you, Granger!'

'Anytime. Be more careful next time, if not, you know where to find me.'

Hermione started packing her stuff. She took a sandwich and wrapped it into a tissue.

'Leaving already? You didn't even finish your breakfast,' Fred protested.

'It's getting late and I have a class with Snape. I really don't want to get in any trouble right now.'

'Fine, then I'll come with you. I am going in the same direction.'

'You don't have to.'

He raised his hand and put a finger at her mouth, stopping her from protesting. She laughed and grabbed her bag. The two left the Great Hall, talking and rushing.

After a few steps, Draco Malfoy with Crabbe, Goyle and Pansy appear from a different corridor. Draco walks closer to them, whistling. They all laughed and he says: 'Look, who is here. What a nice couple, a blood-traitor and a mudblood.'

Fred puts himself in front of him, slowly pushing Hermione back. He was taller than Draco and more intimidating. 'Don't talk to her like that. Do it one more time and you'll regret it,' he said with an angry voice. Malfoy stepped back, trying to looks braver than he actually was, yet failing.

Fred grabbed Hermione's hand and took her away from there. She didn't fell good after that confronting. She always hoped, Draco will stop doing that, or at least try to ignore her. She was sick of being called a "mudblood" or other mean ways by him or his friends.

'Ignore him. He is just a moron. I know you and you are better than anyone.'

'Thank you, but I am so tired of being just a "mudblood" for others.'

'Well, not for me!'

He smiled to her, encouraging her and left her in front of the Potions class. Hermione followed him with her eyes until she couldn't see him any more, then entered.