Chapter 4

"Jaypaw, where are you going?" Cinderpelt called. "I need your help sorting these herbs that Honeyfern brought us."

"I'm going to look for catmint," Jaypaw meowed, continuing to pad out of the den.

"I can send a warrior with you if you want," Cinderpelt offered.

"I'm fine on my own. I can take care of myself," Jaypaw grumbled, slipping out the camp entrance. 

Jaypaw just needed some time to think. Ever since he had seen the prophecy about him and his siblings, it was like the weight of three Graystripes rested on his shoulders. 

"I don't need their help," Jaypaw grumbled, "and I don't want it either."

Jaypaw padded along the WindClan border stream, searching for watermint. He sniffed the air, following the scent of the herb to the banks of the border stream. He could feel the herbs brushing against his nose, and swiftly nipped the stalks of the herbs like he had been taught. 

Standing on the bank of the stream, water lapping at his paws, Jaypaw began to ponder. Why haven't I become a full medicine cat yet? I've learned every herb, and how to treat every possible injury! The half-moon gathering was just a couple of sunrises ago! My siblings are warriors already, too! I don't want to fall behind!

Jaypaw trudged back to the medicine den, mouth full of watermint and tansy, but no catmint. 

"Cinderpelt!" Jaypaw called. "Why haven't I gotten my medicine cat name yet?" 

"Have you learned everything that there is to learn?" 

"Yes, I have!" Jaypaw declared. 

Jaypaw could sense amusement from Cinderpelt, which she was majorly failing at hiding. "No, you haven't. Medicine cats are always learning and experimenting." 

"Oh. Right," Jaypaw meowed, seeming to deflate into nothing but a sad and discouraged lump of fur. 

"Don't fret, Jaypaw. You'll have your medicine cat name soon," Cinderpelt reassured him. 

Maybe at the next half-moon gathering? Jaypaw wondered. Maybe I should go talk to Leafpool. She'll be able to sympathize with me, I'm sure!

A/N: I'm sorry for torturing you like this. Please don't kill me for not telling you what happened to Reedkit.