10

The school day had started like any other; everyone hurried to their classes, couples kissed each other goodbye like it would be the last time they ever seen one another, and some were just too cool to arrive to class on time.

But everything was so different for me, because now, I had one person on my mind, and it became a distraction. I'd find myself daydreaming about Nathan during class, the teachers calling me out for not paying attention. I'd never felt so...  gooey inside.

For the first time since I moved here, I was happy. Properly happy. Like, it wasn't some temporary happiness I carried around to cover my insecurities. I'd made great friends, moved to such a cute little town, and I met Nathan. I had so much to look forward to, no past drama was holding me down, and I just felt so free. No longer living with my parents and getting to live the best of my teenage years.

But of course, there's always interruptions.

Word had somehow gotten around of 'drugs' on campus, so naturally, the school board members had to do a 'random' drug test. They went from classroom to classroom, calling students out. I was so surprised and relieved to see Nathan hadn't arrived to photography class today or he would have for sure been called up.

But I was even more surprised when they called me. We all knew these so called random drug test weren't random, and they picked the obvious trouble makers, but I hadn't done anything wrong... was it because I've been hanging out with Nathan?

Nonetheless, I'm terrified. I'd smoked yesterday with Nathan so I know I'm not clean. My scholarship will be ripped away from me if I don't do something about this fast, but there's nothing I can do. I knew I should've never gave in, if I get kicked out, I'm gonna kick my own ass.

Principal Wells had grabbed a handful of students and taken them to the nurses office where there was a drug testing system set up. It was almost my turn. What am I gonna do? I began to grow impatient, tapping my foot, the closer I got to the nurse the worse my anxiety got.

Then suddenly I get a text. I look down and check my phone to see a message from Nathan, reading 'heads up.'

I furrow my brows in confusion, looking around the room, the nurse had called for the next person, which was me, and I had no time left. But suddenly the fire alarm goes off and we're told to evacuate. Relieved, I run out into the halls and find Nathan leaning against the wall next to the fire alarm. I was so relieved. I give him a smile as we walk together out of the school, bursting into laughter once we reach the yard.

"How'd you know?" I ask.

"It was just lucky timing. I was smoking with a friend and someone text me warning about the random drug testing. Figured I'd save your ass. Now you really owe me."

"Yeah whatever." I laugh. "Since school is basically out now, wanna head to my room and watch something? Oh! I've actually been thinking about getting into the schools drama club, we could practice some lines the drama teacher gave me."

"Drama club, huh." Nathan says with a sudden depressing tone, rubbing the back of his neck. "Yeah, I did that once, with uhm..."

"With who?" I grow curious as I notice the sad look in his eyes.

"This girl Rachel, you wouldn't know her."

Did I say something wrong? Was this a sensitive subject for Nathan? I didn't know anything about his past so I guess I could've never known... maybe I'll ask about it later. For now, I wrap my arm around his and escort him to my dorm.