1

"Great practice today," Akiko said, as he ran to catch up to Kageyama Tobio. "I'm pretty exhausted." This was contradictory to the way Akiko was acting, the eager first-year wing spiker seemed to have endless energy. It reminded Kageyama of a certain someone. 

"Sure," Kageyama replied. He was heading home from a long practice and the last thing he wanted to do was listen to Akiko speak. It was inevitable though, as he found out quickly at the beginning of the school year that they lived very close to each other.

Akiko had a spring in his step. "How are you feeling about versing Shiratorizawa tomorrow?"

"Meh."

"They're one of the best though, it's getting me a little nervous." With each step the younger boy took, his strides became bouncier and bouncier.

"We'll win."

"How are you so certain?" Akiko asked. "I mean you're amazing, you're better than them all but I can never imagine having that kinda confidence." He quickly added, fearing that he had insulted his idol.

Kageyama sighed. "I just am."

"Their ace, Goshiki, is really intense!" Akiko babbled on. "He's so intimidating, I don't think I can look him in the eye. Kinda like with you, but we're teammates so it's not that bad."

"Sure." The way that Akiko could keep on talking nonstop was more tiring than any amount of practice Kageyama had had to endure.

"Do you ever think anyone will surpass you?" Akiko asked thoughtfully.

"No."

"Okay but there has to be someone who is close to it. Who would you bet on being the closest to?"

"Hinata."

Akiko raised an eyebrow. "Hinata?"

"Yes."

"I mean he is our ace, but I feel like there are stronger aces. Like Goshiki." Akiko said doubtfully. "Especially since, y'know, about his injury and everything."

Kageyama felt his fists clench. Anger bubbled up inside him at the mention of Hinata's injury, but after a moment, he exhaled.

"I wouldn't underestimate him if I were you," Kageyama responded calmly.

"You remind me of Captain Tsukishima. You're nicer though, he just tells me to f*ck off when I try to ask him questions."

"Great."

Akiko went on about how weird it was that Tsukishima was the captain of the team, and that Yamaguchi was his vice-captain.

Kageyama looked up into the sky, no longer hearing a word Akiko was saying, and noticed the moon. The last time he watched a solar eclipse, he and Hinata had gotten solar eclipse glasses together to watch it on his balcony. 

"It's so weird how the moon can totally block the sun," Hinata marveled. "The sun is like 400 times larger than it!"

"I guess the moon has an advantage, since it's closer to us." In truth, Kageyama had no clue. He was not one to know much about astronomy, or science, or anything outside of volleyball.

"Just watch how it totally engulfs the bright sun!" The moon was moving slowly but it was closing in on the sun.

Hinata gasped the moment it completely covered the bright star, and reached out for Kageyama's hand. It was fair to say that Kageyama's attention wasn't on the sky. He laced his fingers through Hinata's and squeezed.