"Tough Mary"

Mary's POV

Well Mary, she's a very pretty girl
I guess she was born that way
But whenever they would tell her that
This is what she'd say

Don't bring me posies(Tough Mary, Tough Mary)When it's shoes I need(Tough Mary, Tough Mary)

-Etta James

*

"MARY!!! MARY!!! COME HERE!"

its the crack of dawn and my "mother" is already yelling at me... great. i throw off the covers and walk into the kitchen. there i see my mother leaning over the sink and her back turned to me. Over our radio was the song "Tough Mary" it blared loud but nowhere near as loud as my mother... Mrs. Jolene Davis AKA Satan.

**This is Mary mother, Jolene Davis**

"Mary... baby?" my mom asked all sweetly and motherly like.

"Yes mother", i replied in the same manner.

"Why are there dishes STILL in my sink?" she asked taking a huge puff from her cigarette.

"oh... I'm sorry mom. me and Lottie were out late last night and I-"

"I DON'T want to hear it," she boomed. she spun around all dramatic swinging her arms in her long fur robe.

she slowly crept towards me with an evil look in her eye, pointing her finger dead in my face.

"I already told you Mary. This "singing" isn't a career choice. Your father was a doctor... i was a nurse. Why didnt u go to college Mary. you had the grades. AND YOU THREW IT ALL A WAY FOR SOME NIGGA who filled your head with bullshit!"

"Don't you dare talk about Carlo-"

My mother's ring covered hand struck my face before i could finish my sentence.

i turned to face her with a red cheek and tears in my eyes.

"She's my friend mama. no... my sister. and we have dreams mama. actual dreams. and its not like you're working. you don't do nothing. Ever since daddy left all you do is watch soaps on tv."

my mother slapped me again. this time with the back of her hand...

"How dare you. why are you doing this Mary. Your father already left me don't leave me to."

"WHAT CHOICE DO I HAVE! you hit me, manipulate me and you never support any of my decisions ... and to think i almost stayed. "

"Mary Wai-"

i ran off into my room and locked the door. i took my duffle bag and shoved as many clothes as i could. I took one more look around my room before i jumped out of my window and ran....