CHAPTER FIVE

The radio's crackle filled the humid air in the Tiwari household as it became difficult to catch frequency. Now it sat mute and a little useless on the table by the rocking chair... on which lay a serene looking Parashar, feeling cold from the mild bouts of wind flowing inside from the open window he lay in front of.

Finally it caught on to the desired radio station, 107.2 and played an old classic. Nivedita looked deeply engrossed in her work in one corner of the living room, the focus uninterrupted. As the melodious voice of Amit Kumar sang the lyrics to Bade Acche Lagte Hai she lost her concentration momentarily. She knew what would happen had her Ma been there with her right then.

She would point out, "You know Dita, your Nanu loved this song. When you were a little kid, staying in his company you too got addicted to it and would hum to it as a three year old as I would do my work! Oh god you were such a cute chubby baby!"

Every single time the song came on; she would repeatedly point it out, again and again. And then begin singing the wrong lyrics, always beginning it with "Bade acche lagte hai ye nadiya- arey nahi 'ye dharti' uff!".

Again and again.

She looked at the radio, and then at her father. So did he.

Such is the bond between a father and daughter.He smiled at her and closed his eyes as he happily listened to the song which played in full melody now, letting a small tear squeeze through his closed eyes.

Five minutes later it wasn't as cold as before, with a cotton bed sheet spread over his legs.

^^^

It was 3pm yet the sun hadn't shone its usual golden today and Nivedita's father had slept through the entire afternoon as she studied the time being. Deciding to take a breather she got up and walked around relaxing her legs doing so. As she realized the time, she mentally berated herself for not waking up her father and serving him lunch.

"Pa, please jaldi utho, it's too late for lunch already!" she shouted running towards the kitchen.

Outside, her father received a call from Ramnath's and apparently the friends had decided a few minutes into the call that the cloudy day was perfect to have a cup of tea and gossip about politics.

Smiling at the cotton bed sheet still covering his feet he decided that today was no day to have lunch but pakoras and a cup of tea. "Beta, don't ask Hareesh to cook anything for today!"

Coming out of the kitchen she asked as to what the occasion was and returned back to inform Kaka of the same. After that, quickly changing into a t- shirt and tracks since the weather was a little chilly, she stood in their verandah waiting for her father, keys jingling in her hand.

Locking the villa, the duo exited the boundary wall and opened up a single huge umbrella as they set out for Shukla Niwas.

^^^

The lush green shrubs and trees in the Shukla household's front porch made the red of the brickwork pop out even more. The peaceful atmosphere highlighted every aspect of nature at that instant for Nivedita.She could suddenly see the minute droplets sliding down each leaf, she could hear the raindrops hitting concrete a hundred meters away, she could smell the earth in the playground right beside the villa where overgrown grass fell on itself, all damped in the rain.

It seemed like poetry, until something stuck out of the picture. A...Harley Davidson? Parked here?

Making a quick note to ask uncle about it, the duo walked up the front porch and rang the chirpy doorbell, soon answered by an ever glowing Reena.