About The Story

Disclaimer: This story is a work of fanfiction, and is not endorsed by the originator(s) of the work. All official characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. No copyright infringement, offense, or solicitation is intended. This story has been written for entertainment value only. No profit is being made from this writing. Note, all original characters contained herein are copyrighted to MoonofMorrigan.

Author's Notes, Dedications, & Warnings: Since the AN's were originally so long no one read them... I'm taking them out and leaving in the following:

Warnings are MANY! I'm not a fan of warnings. If you're under the age of 18, this is probably not a story your parents will want you to read. So, naughty you if you continue. Also, this is an AU fic, with many original characters. This story is to be read almost like an original story in itself.

Almost nothing in this story follows the books or even to some point the movies, except for a few things based on appendixes by Tolkien, and the fact that the Legolas x Tauriel thing is there, and the death of Thranduil's wife (though I will depict it in another way). I've created my own thing here. Forgive me please for my liberties, and my sad excuse for telling the king's story in this manner. I hope you enjoy it despite these liberties, and I welcome feedback.

This story is dedicated to those lost in death, and to those who are left behind to remember and love them.

SETTING BACKGROUND: This story is set in modern day, and King Thranduil, his elves and realm have sailed to the west because there was no longer any place for them among men, and the realm they now live in is kind of an AU concept to concepts regarding what Tolkien made for his elves to pass on to after the Grey Havens. They live among but separate from the world of men. Rarely seen, and thought to be legends or myths by most. Thranduil set up a new realm and his son, Legolas, who had sailed earlier with Gimli (who has since died), came to live with his father once more. Tauriel is still there as she never fully pledged herself to Killi, and the king's once vast and beautiful forest in the west is now reduced to a heavily wooded park that is said to be haunted by the humans. He hides his kingdom with illusion, and the only visible thing to mankind is what a human will see as the ruins of an entrance to a garden that leads to a decrepit tower, unless he deems it otherwise. Also, note, that in this version King Thranduil at some point, did retrieve his "gems of pure starlight" and his dear wife's necklace, and set up what would have been her rooms in his new halls as a memorial. They have become neglected and overgrown as he can hardly bear going there, but keeps it closely guarded – a charge Legolas takes personally. As a result, humans have vandalized the parts they see, paranormal/thrill seekers go there to get scared off, and it has become a favorite make out spot for those who live the area. In short humans have become a nuisance to the elves, and they choose to hide themselves behind Thranduil's glamour.