Chapter Three - Into The Realm

SHE returned every day, save two the next two weeks. Almost always coming before the afternoon ended and evening was to begin. Through this time period Legolas spent his time reading the story she was writing over her shoulder. Occasionally, Tauriel would show up, and he would promptly leave. He knew he couldn't keep it up for long. He would eventually have to do a watch with her and come to an uneasy peace. As night would fall he would spend his time following this girl to the edge of the wood to ensure she safely made it to her "car" as they called them now.

Today however it was a little different. She didn't just come toting her backpack and the occasional snack. She was coming with a broom, and a bag of plastic is what he thought the material was called. He watched her in confusion as she set her bag down, then looked about her hopelessly. His people tried to clean things up, but the night before a group of utter fools decided to spend the night to try and conjure up the spirits that lived there, and drank until they passed out. Trash was everywhere still.

No matter how much they cleaned up, humans left their waste there, aside from this human. He seen she stared straight ahead at the wall in front of her and sighed. "Might as well start with that."

Months ago, some teenage humans had spray painted the wall with vulgar images and profanities, and nothing the elves tried without it being overly noticeable could fix it. He stared hard at her, questioning what she was about to do.

She looked above her right at him even. It made him nervous, and he looked about himself uncomfortably. "I'm pretty sure there is someone here. You may not be human, but I can't help feeling like you're there, and you're here right now listening and you understand me. If I'm wrong and I'm only talking to the trees and the squirrels, it's fine too. Some type of being in this world is watching. I want you to know what I plan on doing. You can... scare me off if you don't like it, and I won't come back."

Legolas reached behind him for one of his swords. He was going to be ready if what she said was a breech in her contract. He could cut down one of the dead tree branches that hung low from the trees above if need be. A branch, not a limb. While he was suspicious, the broom made him question if this was meant to be harmful, so he waited for her explanation.

She took a breath, "I'm going to try and get rid of the graffiti on the wall. But I have to use a strong chemical to take it off. It smells bad, but it works, and another foul smelling chemical to stop the first from eating into your walls. I don't know if you'll have a problem with that or not. But if it's ok, I want to do it. Then I'll wash it off with soap and water. The smell will still be there, but the stuff that takes it off will be totally washed away. After that I want to try and clean up here a little, which is why I brought the broom and bag. "

Legolas wasn't sure what to do about this. On one hand she meant no harm. She was actually trying to help. On the other, the "chemical" she was talking about, may disturb his father's magic, and force that portion of the palace to be exposed. He was completely tense, and for once, unsure what to do. He called out to a guard that he knew would be standing in the other hall. He came running in alarm.

"I need my father. This is a decision I am unable to make. Ask him to come here."

The guard looked confused, but didn't hesitate to turn on his heel and do as he was ordered.

He watched her from above, and she seemed to be hesitating again. She looked puzzled. "Do I need to wait for you to make a decision? Um...," she looked about her then back up at him again. He knew she seen nothing, but obviously felt something, "I can do the clean up first then."

She went back to her bag and the broom, glanced up at his spot again, and then over at a pile of trash a couple feet away. She bent down, opened her backpack and pulled out a pair of blue rubber gloves, put them on, and went over to the trash pile and began stuffing the large pieces in the bag.