Chapter 10 - Section 2

The Devil watched the four students with a smile, waving the trident to dispel the scrying spell. "They seem cheerful."

"Why wouldn't they, Dad?" Erica asked from Azazel's arms. "They're alive and not in Hell."

"True." The Devil leaned back. "It's almost as if nothing has happened."

"When has that ever stopped you, Lucifer?" Azazel rasped, finally pulling out the last thread that chained his mouth shut. He rubbed his throat. "It's not like you ever cared about humans. Why suddenly care now?"

The Devil glared at Azazel. "Do you take me as cruel?"

"No, but the humans do," Azazel muttered under his breath.

"Humans are mortal. They'll eventually die and either come to me, go to Father, or fall to Purgatory's gates. No matter what, they'll succumb to Azrael's sword."

"And the pagans?"

"Eh. Let them go to their gods. I don't care." The Devil leaned back on his throne, spinning his trident around expertly like a baton twirler. "You both can go down and help Lilith in the Heresy Circle if you want. I heard it's almost time to braise the souls."

"Yay!" Erica grabbed two of Azazel's hands and dragged him away. "Come on, honey!"

He laughed. "I'm coming! I'm coming!"

The Devil smiled, rolling his eyes. "Young love." He looked down at the game room, watching the souls aimlessly as they played at the different tables and interacted with his employees. He leaned against the arm of the throne, closing his eyes briefly. "It's almost tragic what mortals go through, isn't it?"

"I would say so," a voice agreed.

He smirked, opening an eye and looking over at the newcomer. "Oh, so you actually heard me."

Sydney nodded, walking over and sitting down on his desk. "How is it to finally know there are some willing to risk their own lives to save you?"

He shrugged. "Doesn't change anything."

She sighed. "Well, it was worth a shot."

He rested the trident on his lap. "It was a valiant effort, kiddo." He ruffled her hair. "But hey, you owe my hounds breakfast for that stunt."

"I know I do." She rolled her eyes, muttering in Ancient Greek.

The Devil chuckled, looking down at the casino goers. "Well, everyone didn't even know I was sick. You imitating me fooled them all."

"I know." She nudged him. "After all, I'm the only other one to actually be able to shapeshift here."

"Don't push your luck with that, toots." He glanced at her. "Remember, you're the reason those four ever bothered to help me."

"And you're the reason they kept going. I think we both win."

"Mm, no, I think you deserve an extra workload for getting outside help."

"Oh, come on! I just led them on the right path!"

He held up the blood red cloak. "And gave them this."

She quickly snatched it back and tied it around her neck, her pale face turning pink. "Shut it, Luce."

"You get bar duty for a month."

"Bar duty?! I'm eighteen!"

"Fifteen thousand, doll, not eighteen. And don't give the 'oh-I-get-sick-at-the-smell-of-booze' excuse, either. Bar duty. One month. Now."

She flicked him in the back of the head before teleporting down to the game room.

The Devil chuckled.

Suddenly his phone went off.

He blinked, looking down at it. "Who on Earth-?" He picked up his phone and glanced at the number before answering it. "Hello?"

"Hi there, Dad."

The Devil froze. A rush of emotions pounded his heart as he slumped against the back of his throne and sat there in silence. His eyes closed as he tried desperately to calm himself down before he could break down crying from his joy. Eventually, he held the phone back up to his mouth:

"Hello, Joseph."