𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐂𝐊

Jeremy Heere's bathroom was full of smoke.

He hugged his knees as Michael puffed on the joint, the sounds of Bob Marley floating around the bathroom. The bathtub was small, and yet he had begged Michael to crawl in instead of waiting for the other. Michael had tried convincing him that open air was better, almost like the first high they had ever experienced, but Jeremy refused. And so, he helped Michael find the cassette tapes, hunt for a lighter, and reach a temperature that both teens agreed on. "Three little birds," Michael mumbled, chiming in with the song. "Pitch by my doorstep, singing sweet songs," Jeremy joined in. Michael took a puff before offering it to Jeremy, who happily obliged.

"I still think my idea was better."

Jeremy laughed dryly. "Your idea sucked," he scoffed, splashing a little bit of water on the other male. Michael laughed and put his head on his knees. The music seemed to grow softer for a few moments. "What do you think we'd be if we went through with my plan?" Michael asked suddenly. Jeremy stirred and rubbed his eyes. "I don't know, someplace warm I bet," he said. Michael reached for the joint and let his hand dangle out of the tub. "I bet we would be in a tight space," he said, taking a drag. "I'd be able to count the hairs on your head type close?" Jeremy asked. "I'd be able to see every dandruff particle," Michael corrected.

Jeremy glanced at the empty bottle of Mountain Dew on the window sill.

"This is pretty close too," Jeremy said. Michael flicked the roach onto the floor and scooted forward. "Pretty close is an understatement," he said, sloshing water over the side. Jeremy watched Michael check his watch twice before groaning. "Time's so slow these days," he grumbled. Jeremy felt a prickle of relief. He didn't know why, but he did. It felt good, almost. It felt like something. And honestly, neither had felt anything for a long time. "Can I touch you? Like, just hold your hand?" Jeremy said suddenly. Michael rubbed his red eyes and held out his hand. Jeremy grabbed it and allowed it to fall into the clear water. He flinched when the water hit his eye and used his shoulder to wipe it out. "Your hand feels like carpet. Not the rough kind, but the one we used to lay on during nap time in kindergarten," Michael said. Jeremy smiled warily and closed his eyes, thinking back to kindergarten.

...

"I don't like those."

Michael had a handful of plastic bugs. "But they're tho cool!" he said. He opened his mouth and put one through the gap, daring Jeremy to stop him. "Ew! Michael that thing could have germs!" Jeremy scolded.

But he was laughing too.

...

Jeremy kicked his legs as far out as possible. He was flying. He was flying so high he could see the classrooms. "Push harder!" He yelled. "I'm trying!" Michael said, giving Jeremy a boost. Jeremy had an idea. He was going to turn around and show Michael it wasn't scary to go on the swings. He was gonna prove it. He wasn't a little baby. He'd seen the other kids do it, so he concluded he could too. "My arms hurt Theremy," Michael said, walking from behind him. "That's okay, because I'm gotta show you a super cool trick!" Jeremy exclaimed. "You found out that space travel is real and you know the thecret code?" Michael asked. "No, silly," Jeremy scoffed. Michael stood to the side and watched him slowly slow down. "Ready?" He asked . Michael nodded and Jeremy inhaled slowly.

And took one hand off the chain.

He could feel the sweat start piling up on his hand and hear Michael saying something. Something about being better and cooler than a jetpack. Jeremy opened his eyes, not remembering when he closed them, and gasped. He was still on the swing. He could still see the classrooms. And he could see Michael jumping up and down in delight. "That'th my best friend! Guys! Come look!" Michael screamed, running around the swings. Jeremy laughed and a new idea came to him. "Hey Michael! Watch thi-"

And he fell.

He had enough time to gasp out his first cuss word before hitting the ground with a loud thud.

The last thing he saw before he was blinded by his tears was Michael running towards him, all smiles gone and a look that Jeremy had seen only once in a bathroom.

Then it went black.

...

"Okay, so, you want me to do what?"

Michael hushed him, looking around. "I want you to convinth your mom to buy me braceth," he repeated. "What about your mom?" Jeremy asked. The other boy scoffed.

"Sorry."

Michael stuck his tongue through his gap and blew a raspberry. "Gross " Jeremy giggled. "Then convinth your mom to get me braceth," Michael pressed. Jeremy sighed and gave in. They turned to face the screen, the Pac-Man pause screen staring back at them in anticipation. Michael smiled softly and reached for the one thing Jeremy had been scared of, his hand hovering over the START button.

"Ready Player Two?"

"Always."