ahoy! (mike)

In which a sixteen year old Mike works at Scoops Ahoy because his mom forced him to

It had been a busy day at Scoops Ahoy.

Which, honestly, wasn't anything too surprising. The small ice cream parlor had gotten increasingly popular, considering where it was located: Starcourt Mall, the newest and biggest addition to the usually quiet town of Hawkins. As the mall grew in size and fame, so did the many shops inside, and Scoops happened to be a perfect example of that. The people loved to spend their money, and they loved ice cream even more. It was the perfect set up.

And it was exhausting.

"Max, how long 'til we're off?" Mike sharply turned to his co-worker, his voice clearly giving away the fact that he wasn't taking much more of slinging ice cream.

"I told you probably one minute ago, Mike, we've still got a long day ahead of us," The redheaded girl responded, her voice sounding just as unamused as his, "Just stop complaining, and start scooping!"

Mike groaned while Max rolled her eyes, both of them turning back to their two, separate lines of customers. He heard Max behind talking to her customer, and with a frown he got ready to talk to his.

He had to refrain from cursing once he saw Erica Sinclair, Lucas's troublesome little sister, and her group of friends in front of his line, radiating the same mischievous vibes they always did whenever they showed up.

"Hello, again!" He started, faking his enthusiasm to make this quicker, "What can I get for you?"

"I would like to try the mint chocolate chip," She smiled, her eyes showing no signs of the childlike sweetness she was trying to pull off, "Please."

"Didn't you already try that one?" He softly asked, trying to keep himself in check. He noticed her friends snickering behind her, making mocking faces and noises at him.

Here we go again.

"Yes, I did. I'd like to try it again, if you don't mind." She sassed, putting a hand on her hip to help her intimidating appearance.

"Erica, I'm afraid you're abusing our company policy-"

She interrupts him by standing on her tippy toes and leaning over the counter to snap her fingers in his face, before pointing to the cursed sign above his head.

"Above your nerd hair and stupid sailor hat, it says that my satisfaction is guaranteed. And right below that, it says that you workers want us customers to be one hundred percent satisfied. Now, I don't know what you're thinking, but what I'm thinking is that I'm not one hundred percent satisfied right now. So, you want to keep your shitty job that your mom forced you to get so you won't get in trouble? I suggest you make me one hundred percent satisfied. Please. And. Thank. You."

She snapped her fingers in his face after each word, finishing with a flick to his forehead.

"Ow." He growled, turning to Max for help.

Only to see that she wasn't there, she was sitting at one of the tables, laughing with El close by her side.

He turned back to the Devil and her little followers, holding up a finger to signal that he needed a moment, before practically shoving through the small swinging doors attached to the counter and walking to the girls.