2 ; he loves me, he loves me not

BETROTHED — CHAPTER 2

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

Elara stared absentmindedly at the dark, feathered quill between her fingers. She tapped it slowly on the parchment in front of her, not realizing the ink had been dripping off of the tip of the feather.

It had been four days since her argument with Regulus. Four days since her agreement was made with Sirius Black.

Since then Regulus had been skillfully avoiding her, at all times except during meal times where they were told by their parents to always sit side by side. Even then, he would avoid her eyes, pointedly making a gesture of cutting slowly into his food.

Their peers thought nothing of it. After all, the couple often kept their poise at meal times, choosing to speak amicably with others while only making small conversation between themselves when necessary. And necessary wasn't often.

But she had to do something about it. There wasn't time to waste. Every moment he spent alone and moping would be a second closer for his choice to join the death eaters to become irrevocable.

Elara blinked hazily. Slowly she began to realize just how out of reality she'd been for these past few moments, quickly taking the quill's tip from the parchment and disposing of the now-ruined piece of parchment.

She made a quick decision, straightening up and making her way towards the door. She managed to walk through the common room with no distractions or interferences, being thankful that the Slytherins in the room had decided to mind their business today.

Slowly she climbed up the stairs to the sixth year's boys dormitory, stopping right at the door. Elara straightened her posture, and took a large inhale before knocking.

A faint "Come in," was all she heard on the other side of the door.

The room was empty save for a figure slumped dejectedly over a desk in a corner of the room. She'd never quite noticed just how much they the room smelled of Regulus. Elara treaded carefully into the room, carefully observing her surroundings.

All the beds were made save for Regulus', whose blanket was strewn haphazardly over his comforter. His trunk was opened and appeared to have been rummaged through, objects and books sticking out at odd angles.

As she reached the desk, she found Regulus to be in a position not so different from her very own just moments before.

Absent, busy eyes that seemed to be empty but filled with calculations at the same time. Regulus' hands came up to each side of his cheeks, keeping his head propped up. Elara attempted to follow his line of sight only to find nothing but a horizon of trees. His breathing was steady, as if he was a statue.