fifth time.

when the fifth time happened, a decision was made, when at at 1:47 am, desperation gravitated kaycee towards sean.

when facetime loaded, her phone revealed sean's face, dimly lit by the blue light of his screen, squinting his tired eyes.

"kaycee?," he mumbled thickly.

"i made a mistake," she whispered, "please help."

there was a rustling of sheets on sean's side of the phone and the screen blurred with motion, his voice alarmed and clear. "what? oh my god, are you okay?"

kaycee grinned. "i watched a horror movie with devon and i can't sleep now."

there was a pause.

kaycee heard sean groan and flop back onto his bed. "jesus, kayc," he sighed, "i thought you got hurt or something." there was a sound of a lamp clicking on, and the screen went from black to light yellow.

the screen refocused. there was sean, clearly seen in the lamp light: hair a black, fluffy mess, lips slightly chapped and his loose shirt collar laid uneven on his chest, revealing almost all of his right collarbone. he was rubbing sleep out of his eyes, a slight, amused smile tweaking the corners of his mouth.

to kaycee, he kind of looked like a puppy that was woken up, slow blinking and half asleep.

she giggled and replied in hushed tones, careful of her volume. "oops. sorry that i made you worry."

"oh, you're not sorry at all," he mumbled, smile widening.

"yeah, you're right." kaycee brushed her hair from her face. "that was kind of funny."

he returned her giggles with a chuckle and stopped rubbing his eyes, blinking with more liveliness. "you're stupid. what movie did you guys watch?"

"hereditary," she whispered, "i hated it. it was good, but i hated it."

"how come?"

"it was so scary. i can't sleep, i keep seeing the naked people and the mom in the corner of my room."

sean broke into a shocked laugh. "naked people? the heck?"

kaycee nodded quickly, enthusiastic that he understood the oddity of it. "right?, it made sense but it was still so weird."

"okay, well, don't hit me," sean whispered, his cheeky smile reaching his eyes, "but that sounds sexual."

"okay, ew. i'll hit you tomorrow, nasty."

sean's laughter rang in her ears. "i'm just saying!"

she deepened her voice and mocked him. "'i'm just saying.' gosh, you are such a boy. if you saw that movie, you'd understand."

"okay then," sean said, running his hands through his hair. he set his phone against something, maybe a lamp on his desk, and when he moved back, kaycee could see him from the hips and up, sitting against the back of his bed.  "tell me about it."

kaycee burrowed deeper into her blankets. she held her phone close to her. "no. it makes me scared. and i just want to go to sleep."