Chapter 4

Rick stared at the radio for a few moments, and then the voice came again, "Hey, you alive in there?"

He jumped forward and groaned when he smacked his head on one of the bars of the tank. He reached for the radio, "Hello? Hello?" he said desperately.

There was a sigh, "Oh, there you are. You had me wondering,"

"Where are you?" Rick asked quickly, and he could feel the sweat dripping down his face.

"Outside,"

"Can you see me right now?"

"Yeah, I can see you. You're surrounded by walkers," he said, "That's the bad news,"

Rick raised an eyebrow, "There's good news?"

"No," was the short answer he received.

"Listen," Rick started, "Whoever you are, I don't mind telling you I'm a little concerned in here,"

"Oh man, you should see from over here. You would be having a major freak out," he replied, and it sounded to Rick that the man was barely older than a teenager.

Rick rolled his eyes, "You got any advice for me?"

"Yeah, I'd say make a run for it," He said, and that sounded just fantastic.

"That's it? Make a run for it?"

"My way's not as dumb as it sounds, you've got eyes on the outside out here," he said, and that was true, "There's one geek left up on the tank, but the others have gone down and joined the feeding frenzy where the horse went down," he told him, and Rick felt guilty at the mention of the horse, "You with me so far?"

"So far," Rick confirmed.

"Okay, the street on the other side of the tank is less crowded, if you move now while they're distracted, you've got a chance. You got ammo?"

"In that duffle bag I dropped out there, and guns. Can I get to it?" He asked he couldn't really afford to lose that bag.

"Forget the bag, it's not an option," The man said immediately, "What do you have on you?"

"Hang on," Rick replied, dropping the radio and scrambling to check his gun, once he did that, he moved over to the dead military guy and found a grenade. He tucked it into his pocket and then went back to the radio, "One clip; fifteen rounds," he told him.

"Make them count," he said quickly, and Rick was relieved that he was still there waiting for him, "Jump of the right side of the tank, and keep going that direction. There's an alley up the street maybe fifty yards, be there,"

Rick paused for a moment, "Hey, what's your name?" he asked.

The man sounded frustrated, "Have you been listening? You're running out of time,"

Rick dropped the radio, reached for a shovel hanging on the wall, and then opened to top latch of the tank and climbed out, taking out the one walker that was already there. He started to run down the street he'd been directed to and began to shoot at the walkers that came at him. There was a movement to the side of him, and he quickly pointed his gun.