chapter Three

Her brother was there, helping Pa throw hay into the stalls, both of them just as sweaty as Cooper had been.

"David, go inside," she said sharply.

"But -" he started.

"I said go." Amelia held out her hand for the pitchfork, and he handed it to her.

Pa turned around to look at her. "Why did you do that? Now you'll have to help me finish."

Amelia waited for the sounds of David's footfalls lessening. "Why did you do it? What you did today? Did you see his hands? You know he's a professor, not a farmer!"

"I didn't ask him to do anything. He insisted. He may be a professor, but he's just as stubborn as a mule. Carrying on like he has something to prove." Pa shook his head as he pitched some more hay.

"How do you think he got that idea?" Amelia put her free hand on her hip. "Maybe because you've done nothing but ignore him ever since we got here. You haven't said five words to him!"

Pa turned around to face her. "Don't speak to your father in that way, little missy! You may be some highfaluting big city professor's wife, but you're still my daughter and you will treat me with respect."

"Why should I, when you won't treat my husband with any?"

Pa ran his hand through his hair. "What did you think was going to happen? You just up and disappeared on us, leaving us a note with no information in regards to your whereabouts. Do you know how I asked every single person in town if they'd seen you? Or this mysterious man you eloped with? I even drove to Independence to the depot to ask about you. Do you know why? Because we were sick with worry for you. Nothing, not one single letter from you for months! Then, suddenly, you write and tell us to meet your train without so much as a by your leave? What did you expect? Did you think everything was just going to be perfect?"

"But you said I needed someone to come and take me away," Amelia stammered, not even caring if her father realized she had heard him say that one night while eavesdropping, when she was supposed to be asleep.

"Not like this! You didn't even get married before you left; I inquired! You can't keep that sort of thing secret around here, you know. Your mother cried for weeks! Did you ever think about that? Christ, Amelia!"

Amelia turned away, hot tears stinging her eyes, blindly plunging the pitchfork into the hay. She had never heard her father use profanity before. Or seen him that angry. She didn't want him to see her like this, and she shielded her face from his reproving gaze with her hands. She was suddenly ashamed, but she was still angry enough she didn't want her father to see her tears. But a sob escaped before she could stop it, and the next thing she knew her father's arms were around her. He smelled like the father she had always known, the playful, gentle man who had protected her and indulged her whims.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have cursed," he said.

"You don't have to take your anger out on Cooper," Amelia sobbed. "I promise he respected my honor. We were married before -" she stopped, embarrassed to even reference that in front of her father. Also, it felt a little bit like lying, even though it was true. She had offered herself to him, that night in the cabin. It was only his honor, not hers, that kept it from being a lie.

"Shhhh, I know."

"You know?" Amelia looked up at him, through her fingers.