Chapter 10

We were walking into the game, and it always amazed me how many people showed up. I always joked to myself that come graduation day next year, there will be names called out that I still won't even know. I didn't even have a huge class, but I practically lived under a rock and never knew what was happening in my school.
I wasn't really into drama or cared to know what everyone else was doing. If it wasn't for Gabby and Scotty, I swear I'd never know about anything that happened in my school. We began to walk up the bleachers; all of the students always sat down at the farthest end. Everyone else, including parents, townies, children, etc. had the rest of the bleachers. I just don't think they wanted to deal with how crazy our student section could be. Guys, and even some of the girls, had our school name written across their stomachs. There were signs and horns. Everything loud and obnoxious was all in the student section. It was also fun because everyone knew each other. Sure at college games and professional games it might be more crazy, but there was something special about knowing most of the people around you in the stands.
As we were walking, it took us forever to make it to the end of the bleachers. Brady and Liam were being their usual selves, having to stop and say hi to parents of friends, old teammates, and pretty much everyone else they knew.
Finally we made it to the student section, and I saw Scotty and Gabby waving to us. We made our way up the bleachers and everyone was there.
Half my team was sitting all together, and most of the guys that I was friends with who didn't play football were all there. I went down the row hugging everyone.
I loved how both Liam and Brady hugged my friends. I always wished Garrett could be more friendly like them. Garrett had a tendency to be standoffish to most of the people I introduced him to. I just blamed it on him being a little shy at first.
There was still ten minutes till the teams came running out, so we all took a seat. Liam sat next to Scotty who was sitting next to her boyfriend, Jay; and I was sitting in between Liam and Brady. On Brady's left, Gabby was sitting.
I had a tendency in good moments like this, where I had people I loved around me, to just sit and observe, taking everything in, because I knew little moments like this would be something I looked back on. Liam had said something that was making Scotty and Jay crack up. I loved how he could make anyone laugh. Next to me Brady was also non stop laughing at something Gabby was saying. All around me people were having fun laughing and shouting over each other. I was watching all the girls I played soccer with mess around. Our high school wasn't the biggest, so everyone knew each other pretty well. That only made experiences like this more exciting.
The horn blew and it seized my attention. We all jumped to our feet as the teams were about to run out. The stands started cheering and hollering as our team ran through the banner. I always tried to search for Garrett. Once they all lined up for the playing of the National Anthem, it was easier.
"Did you spot his cute butt yet?" Scotty said to me, talking about Garrett, while leaning in front of Liam.
Jay overheard and chimed in on the conversation. "The only cute butt you should be looking at is mine," he said, talking to Scotty.
"I know that's the only cute butt I want to be looking at," Liam added in.
"How much are you willing to pay?" Jay asked Liam with a smirk on his face.
"It depends. What are you going to do to make it worth my while?" Liam asked.
"I'll let you take a nice long look. Maybe I'll even throw in a touch or two," Jay replied.
Liam thought for a few seconds before responding, "I'd say five then."
"I'd pay five not to see it. I'd pay ten to never have this conversation again," I responded.
We all started to laugh.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The game had ended in a win for us. It was pretty close throughout the whole event, which made the stands even more enthusiastic and energized. After every game, I waited for Garrett to come off the field before he and his team met back in the locker room at the school. I was always excited to see him after a win, because I knew he would be in a great mood.
Brady and Liam had walked Gabby, Scotty, Jay and me down off the bleachers so I could wait for Garrett.
"Alright, Liam and I are going to a party at Brett's house. I'll probably just see you tomorrow, and we can go get breakfast," Brady said as he gave me a hug.
"That sounds fun," I smiled back at him.
"Text me if you need anything," Brady said to us as he hugged Gabby.
"I'll do you one better, call me if you need anything, ladies," Liam said then paused. "And you and your cute butt can call me too, Jay," Liam said, looking at Jay. Liam wrapped his arms around me and pulled me in, tightly hugging me goodbye.
"I guess you won't be getting that ten dollars after all." I looked up at him, as he smiled down at me.
"The things we do for love. It's new, but it's still there," Liam said, slowly letting go of me.
"Yes, it is," Jay answered back.
"Get a room," Scotty said, slapping Jay in the stomach.
"Alright, well, be safe and have fun," Brady said, calling out to me as he and Liam began to walk away.
"Thanks, Dad!" I called out to him.
"Hey, Jay and I are going to go wait in the car, Mag. Gabs, do you want to come?" Scotty asked Gabby.
"No, it's fine. I'll wait here with Mag," Gabby replied.
"Alright then, let's go," Scotty said turning to Jay. They were so cute together. They were the couple that you couldn't seem to think about one of them without thinking about the other.
As we were waiting, Gabby appeared to be looking at the ground, fidgeting with a rock with her feet.
"You okay, Gab?" I asked with concern.
"Yeah," she replied, then looked up at me.
"No, actually, I have something to tell you. Please don't be mad." I could hear how serious she was in her tone of voice.
"Gab, you know you can tell me anything."
"Alright, well, Brady and I were talking, and he asked me about Garrett."
"What about Garrett?" I responded concerned about why Brady didn't ask me.
"He just wanted to know my opinion of him."
"And?" I said on edge, not knowing where this conversation was going.
"Please don't be mad, but I just think you can do better. I feel like you haven't been yourself, and he's been a bit of an ass to you lately."
My eyes went wide, "Why haven't you told me this?"
"I don't know, I just didn't want you mad at me. I just want you to be happy," she responded in a hushed tone.
"Okay," I paused, lost for words.
"See, you're mad," she quickly said.
"I'm not mad. Bummed out that my best friend doesn't like my boyfriend, maybe, but not mad."
"I'm sorry, Mag. I just want you to be happy, and lately it seems like he isn't making you happy."
Before she could say anything else, I stopped her. "Gabby, I know you want me to be happy and I appreciate your concern, but I am."
"And that's all that matters. I'm sorry," Gabby said, putting her arm around me, giving me a side hug.
"It's fine. Do you really not like him?" I asked.
"If he makes you happy then that's all that matters."
Before I could get another word out, I saw Garrett running over to us.
"Hey!" he shouted over the crowd of people, jerking his head in an upward motion.
"Hi, congratulations! You played really well," I said to him as he wrapped his one arm around me for a quick hug.
"Thanks. Hey, Gab," He replied giving her a high five.
"Good game," Gabby responded.
"Thanks. First round of playoffs is done. I can't wait for next week, quarter finals. Ohh, yeah, that reminds me, I almost forgot. Congratulations on your win," he said to us both.
"Yeah, thanks, finals next week! We haven't been in years," I replied.
"Must be exciting and nice to not have to worry about the pressure of winning. We're expected to win, since we've won the last three and everything."
I really didn't know what to say to that. It's like he just has a way of cutting down everything I say. I didn't want to start anything with him tonight, so I just ignored it. Not to mention the conversation Gabby and I just had. So I tried to continue the conversation as best as I could.
"Yeah, I wouldn't want to be the team that loses the streak for their school," I said, just trying to talk about his game and him, considering that's all he ever wants to talk about.
"Well, thanks." I could hear the sarcasm in his voice as he squinted his eyes at me, as if I had done something wrong.
"No, I was just saying that it must be a lot of stress on you guys."
"Yeah. Well, we have to go into the locker room to have a team talk. I'll see you in a little at the party, right?"
"Yep," I replied.
"Alright, well, I love you. See you, Gabs."
"Bye, love you," I quickly hugged him.
"See you later," Gabby said, waving her hand at him.
We both started to turn away when I saw Gabby give me a look.
"What's that face for?" I asked her, pretty certain I knew why.
"Nothing. I just think he could have been a little more supportive of you, that's all."
"He's fine. I know he just has a lot on his mind and was excited about his game."
"Yeah," She snickered.
I bumped my shoulder into hers. "Stop mocking me," I laughed.
She grinned and replied, "Fine, fine."
As we continued to walk to the car, she had started talking about the party, but my thoughts had been consumed with Garrett and Gabby not liking him. It felt like somehow he always does stuff that offends me, or the people around me. However, I always somehow find a way to justify his behavior. I didn't know what to do about it anymore, and I didn't want to bring it up. Especially when recently all we've been doing is fighting, but if I didn't bring it up, then it would make me miserable later on. I took a deep breath in and decided to have a good time being in the present with my friends.