Chapter 1: Appearances

Author's Note: So, when I was younger I had another account on this site. I posted a story, and then never updated it. It was a very good plot and I made a new account now so that I could perhaps try to actually expand upon the initial good idea. So, yeah, no plagiary here. I hope you all enjoy this chapter.
———
"How long until the serum is ready?"

Robin watched the vial intently on the lab table. Months of endless research, guess-work, prayer, sweat, and blood had all been taken to be manifested into one single vial. It was small and was actually a lilac color, making it look deceptively innocuous. However, it was anything but. It was the key to perhaps defeating the most heinous and dangerous criminal that Jump City had ever encountered.

After the Titans had uncovered the disturbing truth about Slade, about his apparent immortality, the team became dead-set in attempting to create a serum that would hopefully render him once again mortal.

Cyborg scratched his forehead, deep in thought. "Four months, tops. Maybe even three."

Robin sighed in dismay. Four months. A month longer than they had originally anticipated. "I see. Well, I need to go make preparations before I go." He turned to leave, but felt the solid weight of Cyborg's hand as it light gripped his shoulder.

"You don't have to do this." Said Cyborg, quietly.

Robin refused to turn and meet the gaze of his friend. "I do. We finally have His weakness right there," He gestured to the vial of serum. "And I am the only one who has any chance of getting to him. To beating him, once and for all."

There was a tense silence that followed, meaning that Cyborg knew what he said was true, so Robin continued. "I don't like this situation as much as you do, but it must be done. If there was another way, I would, but...there just isn't."

"I know." Came the quiet reply behind him.

The hand was removed from Robin's shoulder, and with that, he left the lab.

——-

Everyone was waiting on him the night he was set to leave. Beastboy, Raven, Starfire, Cyborg. They were gathered there outside his bedroom door in the hallway, worryingly quiet, lightyears different from their usual rowdy routine. There was an awkward silence as Robin starred as his friends, searching for the right words to say as their sad eyes met his own.

"Friend Robin," The alien girl's eyes were already full of tears in her normal fashion. "We will all miss you terribly."

"It won't be for long, Star. Promise. I'll get in and out. No problem, okay?"

No problem. Ha.

"We all have your back if anything goes wrong." Said Beastboy confidently.

Robin smiled. "I know I can count on all of you."

He hugged each and everyone of them individually, a bit more vulnerable and warm than he was used to acting, but it was a precarious time all of them. The Titans would be without a leader and Robin would be...with Him.

With one final look at them all--at his make-shift little family--Robin said goodbye and took his R-Cycle to the heart of the city. 

There was no need to pack anything. Robin knew that where he was going to his usual attire would not be welcome. Rather than his normal hero gear, Robin settled with nothing but a grey sweatshirt and black pants, leaving nothing but his mask.

He was travelling back to the old Haunt, the place where Slade had made him his apprentice so long ago. All the humiliation and degradation that he had endured during that time still sent the horrid taste of bile to the base of his throat.