Chapter 13

"The Heart of a Wildflower"

2012 All Rights Reserved

Chapter 13

“Turn it off,” Elizabeth mumbled into her the recesses of her pillow. She was still half asleep when the first set of annoying beeps from her phone began to go off and initially woke her up. She couldn’t find it within herself at the moment to get up and do anything about it.

For five more minutes she was blessed with sweet silence and then it happened again. The phone beeped what she thought was louder signaling that she had a text, and she knew it would continue to beep until she finally dragged her butt about of bed and did one of two things. She could read the text or turn the phone off altogether. Turning the phone off was looking like a really good plan right about now.

Knowing what she had to do Elizabeth groaned and tried to sit up. It was only then she realized that a heavy weight was pinning her down to the bed. Confused, she and startled she froze wondering what in the world was holding her down.

“Lizzie? What’s wrong?” Zeb’s sleep filled voice sounded from beside her. The bed moved and Elizabeth turned her head so that she was staring straight into a set of beautiful icy, blue bedroom eyes.

He smiled and the memories from the night before all came rushing back at her; every last glorious one of them. She remembered the way that he felt moving inside of her, covering her body and driving her to one mind-blowing orgasm after the other. It was heavenly. It was wonderful. It was perfect.

Just like the first time they spent together. And by the way that Zeb was grinning silly at her, she was pretty sure that she was glowing something fierce in the aftermath of their bedroom activities from the night before.

Her short lived high didn’t last long though. On the cloud nine scale it dropped from a 10 to a .5 in less than half a second when she remembered something else from the night before. Something that should have been extremely important but in the heat of passion they both forgot.

A condom.

In all the times that they made love through the night and into early morning neither one of them had once thought to use any sort of protection to prevent another pregnancy.

This was going to turn out to be her final downfall. It was like her high school graduation happening all over again except this time she was going to lose so much more than just a child and her heart. This time she would lose her soul.

Elizabeth slapped her palms over her eyes and fell back against the pillow wishing with everything that she had in her that there was a redo button. "How could I have been so stupid?”

Zeb pushed himself up on his elbows and she could feel him hovering just above her face. “What? What’s wrong?” he asked her again. This time there was a sincere concern that she wasn’t used to hearing inserted in his voice. From the way he sounded, he didn’t have a clue as to the ramifications of what they had done and she wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or not.

Slowly she felt Zeb’s hands take hers and pull them down from her face. At first she didn’t want to face him but then she thought that was just plain stupid. She opened her eyes and looked up at him; struggling like crazy to not get lost in the depths of those shimmering, sapphire orbs. This time, she was determined to be an adult around the situation and deal with whatever happened as such. She wasn’t an innocent, naïve eighteen year old any more.

"We didn't use protection," she rambled. “And I don’t usually do this kind of thing. I’m not on birth control or protected in any way.”

Zeb squeezed her hands together and brought them up to his lips, pressing a soft kiss to both of them. She looked so damn cute right now with that rounded pout on her lips and her hair sticking out every which way from their combined lovemaking and sleep. He was tempted to take her again, right here, right now, just like this. Now wasn’t the time though. He could read that much in her expression. Clamping down on his urges Zeb forced himself to hold back.