Chapter One

A long, breathless sigh escaped my mouth as I sheathed by glowing blade, even though it had just slain a mighty dragon, it still hungered for the blood of the ancient ones. I stretched to the side, keeping one eye upon my companion, Serana.

"Slaying dragons isn't as tough as you might think." I groaned, feeling the tension in my back subside. Serana snorted at this, her dark hood shielding her from the sunlight.

The dragon's body instantly began to smolder, and burn away, the dragon's soul encasing me in a fiery mess. I loved the feeling it gave me, how energizing it was, slaying dragons has always been a highlight of my life.

"Should we head over to the Bannered Mare for a pint," Her vampiric eyes caught my mischievous green orbs, "Or two?" We fell silent, and after a few seconds in silence, we began to bellow with a familiar laughter.

———

We were on the outskirts of Whiterun, the center-city of my homeland, Skyrim. Her old, sturdy walls held strong still, even though the assault by the Stormcloaks damaged this aged town.

We hopped over fallen logs, trampled in the clear, flowing water, and ran through the tall grasses of the tundra before finally reaching the Whiterun Stables, where my horse, Shadowmere, glanced over at me.

"Such a prized horse," Said Serana from beside me, "Even though he barely helps." I let out a stifled chuckle, but instantly shut up as Shadow snorted in response, his ears pinning back. Shadowmere was a gift from Astrid, the old leader of the Dark brotherhood, an organization that deals with assassinations, and honors Sithis. Now, that responsibility has fallen upon me, can't say I'm not honored for that title.

"Shes just messing with you, Shadow." I placed a hand on his soft, cold muzzle, and quickly turned on my heels. "Let's go get a pint, or two!" I grinned, walking up to the great city.

Upon entering the city, there were very few people out. It was around dusk, or even later, the only few out were either the patroling guards or the common courier scurrying around like a frightened mouse.

Serana followed behind me, her hood now down, and her eyes shining brightly in the ominous light. People weren't afraid of Serana, since she was with me, the dragonborn, but if she was alone, she would be hunted and gutted like a fish.

We arrived at the Bannered Mare, and I could already hear the shouting and merry laughing of the travelers inside, and it left a warm feeling deep within my chest. My hand reached for the door, but before I could open it, a man with steel plated armor was thrown out, tumbling down the steps leading up to the tavern.

"Not like I wanted another pint anyway!" He hissed, lifting himself off the ground and straightening his helmet. I shrugged it off, turning back around and entering the still open door.

It smelled of pure alcohol, not like I was complaining though, and there was also a tint of sweetness. Everyone immediately had their eyes on me, whether they held curiousity, admiration, hate, or even fear, no one moved.

I took an empty seat at the bar, Serana taking a seat next to me, and a woman with a light brown tavern dress approached, her golden hair tied up loosely in a messy bun upon her head.

"Welcome to the Bannered Mare, what can I get you two fine ladies?" She smiled, holding a tankard in her hand, and cleaning it out with a rag.

"I could go for some nord mead." I responded, propping my elbow upon the oak table, "I will take nord mead as well." Serana chimed in, and the woman nodded with a friendly smile, "That'll do!"

She placed two tankards in front of us, but something steered my attention away from the mead being poured. A man with a pointy hat stepped inside, and sat down at a square table in the corner of the tavern. His hat was covering his face, but I could see a long, shaggy beard extending from his face.

My eyes narrowed, but I felt a cold hand snap me back to reality, not catching him glance over at me. "What's wrong?" Serana questioned with concern, picking up her tankard and taking a long swig out of it. I shrugged, picking up mine as well, "Nothing, I'm fine." I followed  in her lead, taking a swig out of the iron tankard, the taste of bitterness, and some sweet sweeping over my tongue.

After we finished our tankards, or maybe a few, I stood up from the seat, stretching once again, and catching the gaze of the mysterious man in the corner. This time though, he waved me over, to my surprise, and for some reason, I was called to draw near.

As I reached his table, he gestured to the seat across from him, and I cautiously sat down. Before the could speak, I spoke, "Who are you?" I hissed out, glaring daggers at the fellow, who I still couldn't quite see. The shadows hiding his face, but I could see the slight smirk upon his face.

"My name is Gandalf the Grey, a simple old wizard looking for a dragonslayer, or even better, the dragonborn." I glanced around, crossing my arms and sitting deep within the creaking chair, "Why are you looking for me?" I asked sternly, glancing over at Serana who was laughing with a couple of Nord men.

"I am putting together, I guess you could say, a company of sorts," His voice got quiet, "To help take back someones home." I sat up slowly, listening to what he was saying. It was tempting, I have nothing else to do. I have slain Alduin, the world-eater, destroyed Harkon, a vampire who wanted to take out the sun, and eradicated Miraak, who wanted to enslave everyone on this world.

"Well," I grumbled, scratching the back of my neck, "I suppose I could. Where to?" I asked, watching as he took out a folded piece of paper from his grey cloak, and passing it over to me. I picked up the slightly torn parchment, quickly opening it, and shielding it from any undesired eyes.

"To-" Before I could say the destination, Gandalf hushed me, "Quiet! There are those who wish to see the fail of this mission." I nodded at that, and continued reading, until finally I got to the end.

"So, what, I have to slain a tiny dragon?" I chortled, taking the quill from Gandalf's outstretching arm and signing my name on the blank space, the ink bleeding through, and my name boldly printed upon it, Alina.

"This is no puny dragon, if it was that simple, I wouldn't have sought you out." My eyes locked with the old wizard, and I frowned, my eyebrows somehow becoming deeper in a permanent scowl.

"I will see you soon, Alina." As I was about to protest, Gandalf rose from his seat, and out towards the door, opening it and letting out a soft "Oh!" As he caught sight of the pouring rain.

"I could have told you." I mumbled to myself, shaking my head and pulling out the parchment that he had given me. There was no specific time, all it said was "Anytime between dusk and dawn," and a place, "Hobbiton, Bag-end?" I questioned, not noticing Serana sneak up behind me and tap me on my shoulder.

I nearly jumped out of my seat, glancing up at the towering, grinning vampire, "What are you reading?" She asked with a slightly tilted head, peeking over my shoulder.

"I have another adventure."