FIVE

'I hope she isn't mad at me, " Escanor thought, his thoughts traveling a mile a minute. He'd always been the worrisome type, but technically he had nothing to worry about; y/n had forgiven him.  Something still bothered him, though. For about a week after every shift y/n would just disappear and walk in the doors hours after sunset. Even after relocating the routine continued. His worry for her never faltered, he didn't know if she'd be able to protect herself if anything went awry. Anxiety stepped on his chest, making it impossible to settle down until she came back. But things weren't any better when she was around. She'd skulk around either in her tunic or that... tight uniform the captain so elegantly made. She was either gone in body or gone in spirit. It was as though she wasn't even there at all.

"Y/n, could you please help me? The customers really messed up the tavern today," Elizabeth chirped, looking around the bar. Escanor piped up. Y/n had been hiding in her room for a while and he hasn't seen her. Y/n emerged from the hallway, she looked awful. Her skin was pale, her eyes ringed with black and her usually warm and inviting expression had been traded in for a cold and distant one. She looked as though she hadn't been sleeping at all. "Y/n! You look awful! What happened?" Elizabeth fussed, rushing over to her. She shrugged her off and grabbed a mop. "I'm fine, just clean up, we don't have much time," she scoffed. Elizabeth gazed at her with a sullen look before nodding and wiping down the tables. They quickly cleaned the tavern until the table tops and floors shined. Y/n wiped sweat off her brow and put the mop back. "There," she said, walking back to her room. Escanor bit his lip, watching as she left. Elizabeth walked over to him. "Have you noticed how much lady y/n has changed in the last week?" She squeaked, her expression worried. Escanor nodded. "I fear that I may be the cause," he whispered. He held his head in his hands, feeling absolutely awful, until he looked up, his shoulder having been tapped. "I do not believe that it was you who caused this mood change, in fact, it was I," Merlin said, her eyes transfixed on the lion sin. Escanor shot up, his eyes wide. "What did you do?" He exclaimed. Merlin held up a hand, motioning for him to calm down. "Follow me," she said, walking up the stairs. Escanor scampered after, his thoughts running a mile a minute. Merlin stopped at a door Escanor had never noticed before. He raised a brow. "Do I smell burning?" He asked. Merlin looked back at him and opened the door. Escanor's eyes widened. "The hell happened in here?" He exclaimed, stepping into the room. It's walls had been burnt so bad that Escanor couldn't identify its original colour. The few pieces of furniture that was in the room was charred to a point that if anyone sat on them they would immediately crumble to ash and the floor was black, a few stray flames scattered around. Escanor stared around the room, his mouth agape. "I haven't seen anything like this in a good while," he whispered. Merlin entered and put a hand on his shoulder. "Y/n did this," she said. Escanor stared at her as though she had three heads. "Impossible," he whispered. Merlin shook her head. "It's her special ability. I believe it's called 'incinerate'. It's a powerful attack based on fire, the likes of which are only over powered by your sunshine," she said, her lips pulled into a tight frown. "Y-y/n did this?" Escanor whispered. Merlin nodded and swished her hand, returning the room to its former glory. "Her power has remained dormant for many years which is why it's so uncontrollable. It also explains her sudden mood changes, her ability takes a lot from her which leaves her constantly tired, we're trying to work out the kinks but we're making slow progress," she sighed. Escanor opened his mouth to say something but decided not to. "She could be a very powerful ally, but if not nurtured carefully, she could become an equally powerful enemy," Merlin continued, biting her lip. "Is this hurting her?" Escanor whispered. Merlin shook her head. "So far it only depletes her energy," she said. He nodded. "Could you talk to her? Make sure she's totally all right?" He pleaded. Merlin shook her head. "I think she'd prefer to hear it from you," she said. Escanor bit his lip and nodded, turning to leave. He looked back, clutching onto the door frame. "Don't push her too much," he said. Merlin nodded, watching as he left.

Y/n sat in her "room", her mind numb and her limbs aching something nasty. She didn't want to be upset or angry, she was trying so hard to be happy, but she just couldn't help it. Ever since Merlin had started to train her it felt as though she was constantly on fire. It was so painful. She didn't want to ignore Escanor but her throat burned with every word she said. She was miserable. She was in pain. And she was angry. She was so angry. So angry. It scared her. She stared out the window, biting her lip. She snaps her head to the door, someone knocking on the other side. She hesitated and opened it, being met by the lion sin. "Do you want to go for a walk?" He asked, staring at the ground. Y/n hesitated, biting her lip before she nodded. She could see his smile as he led her out the door. She followed him, clasping her hands behind her. Soon they walk into a clearing and Escanor slouched against a tree, his glasses reflecting her face. "Where have you been?" He asked. Y/n scoffed, looking away. "Does it really matter?" She whispered.
"Of course it does!"
"Escanor, please, calm-"
"I'm worried about you!" He exclaimed, digging his nails into his palms. "Escanor," she whispered, her eyes welling hot tears. "No matter what you think you're important to me, y/n, and I want to make sure you're okay," he whispered, looking at her. She bites her lip, her face pinking with hot embarrassment. "I'm sorry," she whispered, looking down. He sighed. "Merlin told me everything," he said, turning slightly. Y/n'a eyes shot up. "No, she couldn't have," she mumbled. He nodded. "You're powerful, y/n, but you're also ignorant," he sighed. "I know what it's like, I know everything you're feeling, but I promise you, pushing me and the people who care about you will only hurt you more," he said, patting her shoulder. She bit the inside of her cheek, looking away. "I don't want you to hurt, y/n," he said. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," she sniffled. He smiled, pulling her into a hug.

"I forgive you, y/n," he whispered, and he truly did.