ii. the man and the car

————— chapter two —————ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴀɴ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴀʀ

ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴀɴ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴀʀ

————— chapter two —————ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴀɴ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴀʀ

1922 —————

PERHAPS THE CROTWELLS weren't the best family to have been placed into the care of, Victoria knows this —— hell shes known this since she was a mere seven years old that they weren't the best kind of people. they weren't the kind of people who you would just pop on down and ask for a spot of tea from, or to watch your kids for, but the crotwells had taken her in, given her a name, a roof over her head and they had kept her fed so she really had no room to complain, and for that she would be forever grateful.

it was for this very reason that the golden haired beauty was standing outside of the 'chaplet pub' a frown placed on her usually rather happy features. blowing air slowly from her lips the girl pushes on the door, wincing slightly as the bell above the wooden door sends a high pitch chime throughout the rundown room.

"is he in here denis?" The girl asks, her nose turning up as the smell of old whisky and gin hits her senses, and the underlying vapour of piss lying around the air.

"isn't he always torie" the barkeep replies, a rag slung over his shoulder. "look can ya get him away, he's been bleeding me dry" denis states, tiredly running a hand over his face, allowing Victoria to see the aging lines forming under the mans eyes.

"how much was it tonight?" she asks quietly, already knowing that she would once again be out of pocket for her father's mistakes.

"it don't matter torie" the man with the balding spot tried to reason, shaking his head as he rushed around the bar. fully ignoring the pointed glare sent to him from the girl with the golden hair.

"aye it does denis, so how about you tell me how much it was and I'll just grab my father and be on my way then" by this time the girls had enough of the barmans floundering, it didn't matter how often the girl was there, or how often this situation occurred it still annoyed and slightly haunted Victoria that she was the one left to pick up the pieces. of course there was people like denis —— who in hindsight she probably should have been slightly kinder to considering the lengths he went to too protect her father from dying from consumption, but people like denis who still treated the golden haired beauty like a child, even after knowing everything that she did for her family.