twelve.

CHAPTER TWELVE,
ribs.

Aiden's limp body was jolted in Shane's arms as he ran through the woods. Rick cradled Carl's body to his own while running just behind Shane.

The men had be ordered by another man, the one that shot the two, to run to a farm house. They'd find a man named Hershel. He could help the.

Rick and Shane saw a white farm house in the distance and picked up the pace. When the tan on the porch, a group of five people stood there. "Are they bit?" The old man asked them.

"Shot. By your man." Rick replied, his eyes red.

"Otis?" The older blonde lady asked.

"He said find Hershel. Is that you? Help me. Help my boy." Rick pleaded.

"Help my sister." Shane begged from beside his best friend. "Please."

"Get them inside." Hershel ordered. They all raced inside the house. Rick and Shane were led to a bedroom.

"Patrica, I need my full kit. Maggie, painkillers, coagulates- grab everything. Clean towels, sheets, alcohol. In here." Herself said. Shane and Rick placed down the two down on the bed side-by-side. "Pillowcase."

"Are they alive?" Rick asked.

"Pillowcase, quick." Hershel said to the two men. Shane quickly reacted, grabbing a pillow and pulling the pillow case off.

"Fold 'em. Make a pad. Put pressure on the wounds." Hershel ordered. Shane held the white pillowcase to his sisters rib cage. It wasn't the first time Aiden had been shot.

She was shot in action before the world went to shit. Kings County Sheriff's Department responded to a school shooting. Thankfully, it hadn't been Carl's school.

Aiden and Payton got out of their police cruiser and pulled out their guns. Shane and Rick were already there when the two younger cops pulled up. Police were everywhere. Some were ordering others around, while others were leading children and teachers away from the school.

There were ambulances and EMTS, parents crying for their children. "Go, go, go." Shane said and the cops filed into the school. They all wore bullet proof vests for protection.

But that didn't stop the bullet that landed in Aiden's shoulder. She cried out as she hit the ground. More bullets flew their direction. Before they ceased.

Payton Reed lowered his gun while the officers looked at the school shooter. He had a bullet hole right between his eyes.

The cops crowded around Aiden. Shane, Rick, and Payton all right around her. "Son of a bitch." She muttered as Shane pressed his hands onto her wound to slow the bleeding.

"Get the EMTS!" Someone shouted and before Aiden knew it she was on a gurney and being rushed to an ambulance.

Three kids were killed that day. One teacher killed. Twelve students and three teacher injured. And one cop shot through the shoulder.

Hershel pressed the stethoscope to Carl's chest. "I've got a heartbeat. It's faint." Before rushing to Aiden's side. "Another heartbeat. Faint, too." Hershel told them.