Chapter 9:

Everyone was arguing on what to do next. They knew that there was supposed to be five rounds of this, but they needed to get James to the doctors and the longer that they delayed the bigger the danger for him. During the confusion and chaos, a second card fell to the ground. James saw it due to the color was red. Hey! Hey! What does the red card say?

Everyone looked at him in confusion then Selene picked it up. She was scared to see what it said. Looking up she gasped! She looked where Jenny had been resting in the trance and screamed. Jenny! Where is Jenny? Selene cried. She began to bolt through the house. She had dropped the card. Matt chased after her trying to help find Jenny.

Steve picked the card up. Oh my god! James, try to get a signal and get a doctor! We have to find Jenny. Come on! It says to free the spirit trapped and has her name on it. Everyone but James scattered through the house to try to find Jenny. They were yelling her name throughout the house. Soon the house echoed with the sound of her name being called.

James pulled the laptop up on his legs. The weight hurt like hell, but he needed to see the images that she had found earlier. The ancient temples all had a mound in the center of them where the Egyptians would use to represent the primordial mound that they believed the gods came from and where the land was said to have started. Come on it has to be here. Damn I need signal to find the information. One and a half bars of internet signal came through. Thank the gods. OK where would the mound be in a temple of ancient Egypt that would show the primordial mound of life? he typed and hit search.

Images and pages flew across the screen. They all showed it to be at the center of the temple in the inner sanctuary. Now where was that to this house? Steve, see if there is a basement. If I am thinking in the right way that is where we will find her. James yelled across the house. He then found a cell phone with enough of a signal to call the emergency services and get some medical help. They said that with the unexplained storm they would be there as soon as possible. They were having to go on alternate routes due to the flooding of the roads. James explained where they were and what had happened to his knee and there was a person missing in the house. The emergency operator said that they understood and that they would get some people out there as soon as they could. They asked the basic questions of was the person who had the injured knee still awake, who was missing in the house, could they have left the house in any way. James explained that he was the one with the injured knee and he was sore but fine. Jenny had been acting strange for part of the night, but she hadnt left the house because she had seemed drawn to the house.

Steve ran and found Selene and Matt. Together they found the stairs in the center of the house going to the basement. Going down the stairs he found a flashlight and began to look around. There were ancient hieroglyphs on the walls and then a flash of light. Jenny? Jenny are you down here? Selene and Matt came down. They had heard to try to find the basement. The sound of something being dragged across a stone could be heard. Then a loud crack. The entire house shook with the sound of the crack. Check the beams, make sure they are good. There was a flash of light over there next to the columns.

Its all rock. This is a hypostyle hall. The ancient Egyptians would use columns to hold the roofs up since they hadnt mastered arches yet. Nick said. What did the card say? Something about releasing the spirit we need the primordial mound. It would be in the center of the hall. This really is a miniature version of a temple. The work is amazing. The carvings are beautiful.

They carefully ran through the pillars and found Jenny with a ceremonial dagger in her hand. There was a crack in the middle of the rock where she had pulled it out. Steve went up to her. She was clear eyed, totally aware of what she was doing. Jenny Jenny give me the dagger. I know things have been rather strange but please give me the dagger.

No this is where I am meant to be. Jenny said, sounding like her normal self. Calm and rational. Like she had just had a major revelation about herself. Steve you dont understand. I belong here.

Jenny I need the dagger. Youre right, I dont understand. What do you mean that you are meant to be here?

I am the chosen mate to Set. I have been chosen to join the gods. All my life I have felt out of place. I know why now. I understand why my life has been a jumbled mess.

Upstairs the police and medics could be heard. The cops came down to the basement where they saw the lights and could hear the conversation. They followed it. There was Jenny with the ceremonial dagger in her hand. Nick stopped them. She is possessed by something. Steve is trying to talk her down. They have been friends for ages, and he is our best chance at it.

Jenny Jenny give me the knife. You know that – you know the Ancient Egyptian gods arent real. Set isnt real.

No you lie. Set chose me. I told you the temple wanted us here. I was the one that was trying to protect you and you never listened. Set does. I feel whole for once.

Jenny what do you mean? Steve said. He could see that Nick was trying to get behind her.

I am the chosen one. That is why the temple accepted me. Thats why I was able to see the truth when you couldnt. Set chose me to be with him. Stay away. Nick tried to get behind her, but Jenny moved faster. Driving the jeweled dagger in under her sternum Jenny accepted the soul of Sets partner. She shook and quivered for a moment then laid still. Everyone watched as the stone changed color and a man rose from the rock that had held the dagger.

Jenny opened her eyes, pulled the dagger out of her chest and dropped it. The stone had shattered after the spirit transfer. She went over and bowed to Set. The trials are just beginning for this world. Take your friends and leave the temple.