Chapter 6

"Please stop," Henley called out.

I kept walking as fast as I could, desperate to get away.

"I know what you're thinking."

"That's not possible," I called out, continuing to the car.

"It might be the first time ever, you know."

I heard Henley huff.

"Please stop. Look nothing on me, you're totally okay."

In the middle of the street, I stopped and turned to face Henley. He was in the full light of the street lamp, his hands wide so that I felt safer. If he knew the truth, he'd know that I lived a life that was never safe.

There was a sizable gap between us, I wasn't moving any closer and Henley was wary of scaring me off.

"This is completely bizarre and new for me, so, I just,"

He sighed, his body slumping slightly.

"I don't know. When you're raised one way, told to believe what the government says, it becomes indoctrinated into the soul. You saw the crowd in there, it's all the same. I've talked to a lot of people who have moved throughout the cities in this cage, it's the same everywhere. There will be a lot of people that don't care and those that will put their life on the line just to change the future. We didn't know, we,"

Henley paused for a moment and then looked at me with a slight frown.

"You are fully aware of the majority of the population of this place and their species?"

I nodded silently.

"And yet that didn't bother you, what we did?"

"I don't have an aversion to humans."

"But you were looking for someone, weren't you?"

I nodded warily.

"Who?"

I pointed to Henley, he frowned like he couldn't understand it.

"There's a price on your head. I'm a bounty hunter and I came here to either kill you or capture you. They want one, offering a higher price for it."

Henley's face twitched with a scowl.

"Come on," I scoffed. "You cannot seriously be surprised."

"I just wouldn't have thought that,"

"What? They'd send a woman to do the job?"