36. the monster

     "ALL THOSE TIMES WE WERE IN THAT BATHROOM, and she was just three toilets away," Ron said bitterly at breakfast next day, "and we could've asked her, and now

"ALL THOSE TIMES WE WERE IN THAT BATHROOM, and she was just three toilets away," Ron said bitterly at breakfast next day, "and we could've asked her, and now . . ."

It had been hard enough trying to look for spiders. Escaping their teachers long enough to sneak into a girls' bathroom, the girls' bathroom, moreover, right next to the scene of the first attack, was going to be almost impossible.

But something happened in their first lesson, Transfiguration, which drove the Chamber of Secrets out of their minds for the first time in weeks. Ten minutes into class, Professor McGonagell told them that their exams would start on the first of June, one week from today.

"Exams?" Seamus howled. "We're still getting exams?"

There was a loud bang behind her as Neville's wand slipped, vanishing one of the legs on his desk. Professor McGonagell restored it with a wave of her own wand, and turned, frowning, to Seamus.

"The whole point of keeping the school open at this time is for you to receive your education," she said sternly. "The exams will therefore take place as usual, and I trust you are all revising hard."

It had to occur to Harper that there would be exams. She guessed she just kinda forgot about them with everything that had been going on. 

There was a great deal of mutinous muttering around the room, which made Professor McGonagell scowl even more darkly.

"Professor Dumbledore's instructions were to keep the school running as normally as possible," she continued. "And that, I need hardly point out, means finding out how much you have learned this year."

"Can you imagine me taking exams with this?" Ron muttered in Harper's ear, holding up his wand, which had just started whistling loudly.

• ✧ •

     THREE DAYS BEFORE THEIR FIRST EXAM, Professor McGonagell made another announcement at breakfast.

"I have good news," she said and the Great Hall, instead of falling silent, erupted.