Chapter 17- Playdate

"Really, Sybil. I think they'll be fine on their own. It's not as if they are sharing one," mom says when Tank's mom suggests they should go with us on the go-karts.

"I suppose... Let's grab drinks and we'll meet them at the exit," she says. She's been weird since we walked in. I hope mom can work her over while Tank and I go karting.

It's Friday night and my date with Tank is just starting at Golf n' Karts. I forgot how good he looks. Sure I have tons of pics of us on my phone and all his social media accounts. I go through them ten times a day... But when we spotted him sitting with his mom right at 7pm, my heart stopped.

"I can't believe we're doing this! I miss you so much!" Tank has the widest smile I've ever seen and his blue eyes twinkle under the lights.

"I miss you too." The sun is down and we're pressed into the line with a wall separating us from the rest of the park.

I slide my hand next to his and our fingers brush. His reach for mine, but I notice him tense up and look around us. He forces a smile when he sees me scoping him.

"I know this is weird. I seriously thought you'd say no. It's like I'm on parole or something," he admits. His eyes flash to mine and then look down like he can't face me.

"It's fine. Whatever works. I'm sure they will chill out after they get used to us," I tell him. It's what mom told me.

"I hope so. School starts next week anyways and you'll be there," he says.

"Next week? It's not even August yet!" I protest as if Tank has any authority over this.

"Yeah next week! Didn't you look at the calendar in your mailbox?" He gives me a smirk.

"No. We're bad about mail. I didn't even think about it, but I guess we're not going back to California as soon as I thought." I'm kind of glad for that. I'm not ready to say goodbye to this.

"No one leaves Arizona." Tank eyes me ominously. "No... one."

"I'm kind of liking it here." I say this as I'm wiping the sweat off my cheek from being outside. Even though the sun is gone, it's still over 100 degrees out here.

"It just feels good to be out of the house and not at church. What did you do this week? Tell me everything!" He looks so excited as the line moves forward.

I can't tell him about the group at the LGBT center because then I'd have to tell him about Evan and that would not end well. Evan and I have been texting back and forth like crazy and I felt fine about it until the very moment when we walked into this place and I saw Tank. Evan will never be Tank and just the thought of him makes me feel like I've done something wrong.

"Just chilled around with my dad. Nothing much." I lie. He cocks his head to the side like that can't be right.

"Sorry. I guess my plight kinda bummed your week out," he sighs like this is all his fault.

"No! Not at all. It's been great having my dad back. But he can't really get a job until they get married and sort out his citizenship. He's trying to do everything legally this time so he can stay for good. The lawyer told him to just lay low and avoid attention." I shrug.

"Oh. I get that. Sorry, Hayd." He shifts uncomfortably, but keeps his fingers touching mine.

We move forward in silence then. Our bodies do the talking. I press in behind him as the line narrows. I want to slide my arms around him and hold him tight, but I don't.

He pushes back against me and rubs that perfect bubble bottom on the one spot that quickly rises to attention. Everyone's watching the karts go around the circle. No one is looking at the quiet gay boys trying to get their fill of each other in the dimly lit line.