Personal Experience

As a young woman, I remember getting my first period as if it was yesterday. I woke up to the beaming sun hitting my face. The sound of the waves outside of my house gently cooing me out of my sleep. The familiar feeling of needing to go pee sat heavy in my stomach so I dragged myself out of my room and into my bathroom. I relieved myself with the peaceful sound of Mother Nature breaking waves against land. As I went to flush I saw my pee had a red-pinkish ring to it. Luckily my family had well informed me of what had just come. My lovely period.

SIKE...

I woke up to my sister talking loudly on her phone on her bed in the room we shared. The neighbors were mowing there lawns as the dogs barked at everything and nothing. I groaned at the strong urge to pee rolling out of bed with my phone in hand and when I got to the toilet I met my ultimate demise. I was peeing blood and new that it was my time. I was finally being put out of my misery. God had finally decided that it was my time. Goodbye cruel world.

I sobbed on the toilet a mix of snot and tears running down my face as blood left my body. I grabbed my phone and called my mother crying about my final days and too my upmost horror she laughed.

My tears stopped as I heard my mother's release of humor and when she had finally collected herself i was told of a period.

Period. Pe•ri•od /ˈpirēəd/
1. a length or portion of time.
"This period of fear never lasted long."

Wait. Wrong Google definition.

2. a flow of blood and other material from the lining of the uterus, lasting for several days and occurring in sexually mature women who are not pregnant at intervals of about one lunar month until the onset of menopause.

There we go but let's put it in simpler terms. This is when blood comes gushing from your vagina until you die from blood loss. Kidding.

Its a sign of sexual maturity as blood leaves your vagina. At this time technically speaking you can begin to bear children. It's completely normal and absolutely nothing to worry about according to my mother.

And that was only the beginning.