II

McQueen sighed into his mug once more as he gazed across the mounds of files on his desk. Manila envelopes stacked five high in four different piles. He'd been working for two weeks, but that was only after his forced recuperative leave he hadn't wanted.Despite protesting he was fine, apparently being kidnapped by a serial killer and killing said killer awarded him time off.McQueen had spent that time pacing and fussing, until he'd come back the minute he'd been allowed.

He'd been ready to come back, but as he gulped down some lukewarm milky tea, he thought maybe he'd spoken too soon. Thinking back to his conversation with the Chief, he doubted any amount of time away from work would have saved him from this assignment.

"I don't want your head filled with pompous fanfares McQueen. Catching a serial killer is a once-in-a-life time achievement."The Chiefsaid stood at his desk looking down at McQueen on his first day back.Despite a cheer of congratulations and back slaps, the small band of officers at Rippling Police Station gave him a wide birth.It was no secret the Chief had wanted to see him, and everyone was weary of the Chief.

He looked like a strong gust of wind could blow him apart and the man had the personality of a paper bag to match. However, everyone was weary due to respect and for good reason: he had a will of steel. When he wanted something done, he made sure it got done. In that meeting, McQueen had felt very small as the Chief spoke down at him and got the distinct feeling that, notwithstanding his near-death experience, the Chief wasn't best pleased with the last case's outcome.

"You've had your once in a lifetime case, McQueen. You've caught the serial killer. Time to settle." And like a forgiving God, the Chief passed McQueen a single sheet of paper which held sixteen different file numbers.

"Is this our next case?" McQueen asked, flicking his eyes over the list.

"No." The Chief said stiffly. "It is your personal case to work on. However, you and Hale will still be working on other cases that come across your desk, so prepare yourself for some long, hard, research filled hours. I expect nothing short of your full dedication, McQueen."

"Yes, Sir." Had been his reply, and at the time, McQueen had been eager to start, but that was before he'd collected the case files.

Kesslis, who oversaw the file room at the station, had been nothing but helpful; finding every file he needed like she already knew where they were. When he said as much, she'd let out a little tittle. "Please Detective." She smiled, her auburn hair twisted into two buns on top her head and her long flowing skirt printed with lovely Koi fish. "I am keeper of the Files & Testimony Entrepot. This is my job."

Her laugh rang in McQueen's ears in the present, as he stared blankly at his desk. That had been three weeks ago, and McQueen still sat with sixteen cold cases stacked in front of him like a barricade.He'd gone from Detective of the month, to paper pusher of the year.He could testify to God himself his ego couldn't be more deflated, yet once again, he reached for another file, collecting note and trying to deduce any avenue that hadn't been pursued.His soul told him he couldn't leave this case behind unless he was certain he'd done everything he could.

"Any luck?" A dull voice asked from behind and McQueen smiled as Ramirez walked up to his desk. In the few weeks gone, Ramirez had stayed connected. It was nice and surprising as McQueen didn't think he'd made an impact with his fellow officer, but soon after he was cleared from hospital, Ramirez had become a fast friend.

"Hay." McQueen responded swallowing the last of his chilly tea, smiling sadly. "And I'm just having another look."

The file open in front of him showed a happy smiling child, aged five, blowing bubbles at the camera. The laugher on the little girl's face made McQueen's heart clench but it wasn't the worst of the lot; every file had a photograph of a missing child inside. It seemed the parents believed the more heart crushing the photos was, the more people would aid in find their baby. Sadly, all these files were ten years of cold cases and no amount of bubble blowing was going to help now.