38. the heir of slytherin

     THEY WERE STANDING AT THE END OF A VERY LONG, DIMLY LIT CHAMBER

     THEY WERE STANDING AT THE END OF A VERY LONG, DIMLY LIT CHAMBER. Towering stone pillars entwined with more carved serpents rose to support a ceiling lost in darkness, casting long black shadows through the odd, greenish gloom that filled the place.

Harper's heard was beating very fast, as she stood listening to the chill silence. Could the Basilisk be lurking in a shadowy corner, behind a pillar? And where was Ginny?

Both of them pulled out their wands and moved forward between the serpentine columns. Every careful footsteps echoed loudly off the shadowy walls. They kept their eyes narrowed, ready to clamp them shut at the smallest sign of movement.

Then, as they drew level with the last pair of pillars, a statue high as the Chamber itself loomed into view, standing against the back wall. They had to crane their necks to look up into the giant face above: it was ancient and monkey-like, with a long thin beard that fell almost on the bottom of the wizard's sweeping stone robes, where two enormous grey feet stood on the smooth chamber floor. And between the feet, face down, lay a small, black-robed-figure with flaming red hair.

"Ginny!" Harper exclaimed, sprinting towards her and falling on her knees. "Ginny! Don't be dead! Please don't be dead!" Harper grabbed her shoulders and turned her over. Her face was white as marble, and as cold, yet her eyes were closed, so she wasn't Petrified. But then she must be . . .

"Ginny, please wake up," Harry muttered desperately, his wand flung aside, as Harper kept on shaking her. Ginny's head lolled hopelessly from side to side.

"She won't wake," a soft voice said.

Harry and Harper jumped and spun around on their knees.

A tall black-haired boy was leaning against the nearest pillar, watching. He was strangely blurred around the edges, as though she was looking at him through a misted window. Harper did not recognize him.

"Tom—Tom Riddle?" Harry said in disbelief, who did recognize him. Harper tightened the grip on her wand.

Riddle nodded, not taking his eyes off Harry's face.