Chapter Three | Ground Rules

"Well, this is it," I said, stepping inside my house with my two new roommates

"Yes, I seem to recall that atrocious blue door from somewhere in my memory bank," he smirked.

"Very funny." I rolled my eyes as I tried desperately to control the wiggly dog in my arms.

As soon as I let her down, she ran right over to Kol's feet, giving him her best puppy dog eyes until he lifted her up.

"And who is this tiny ball of fuzz?" He asked, his voice kinder than I'd heard it in quite awhile.

"This is Audrey. I just adopted her today." I pulled off my coat, before stepping out of my shoes. "Isn't she the cutest?"

"Uh, sure.. in an obnoxiously fluffy sort of way." His goofy half smile had my heart fluttering, despite my best efforts to stay indifferent.

I bit down on my lower lip, watching them interact for a moment, before Audrey tried to escape his grip.

"Alright. Go on, you little furball," he said.

After depositing the dog onto the floor with a chuckle, Kol slipped a silver flask from his pocket. He brought it to his lips and took a long pull, the liquor flowing easily down his throat.

"Oh, no. None of that, sorry," I said, shaking my head. I plucked the container from his hands and moved into the kitchen, where I dumped the contents into the sink.

"Hey! What was that?" His complaining was cut short by the icy glare I threw his way.

"If you're going to be staying here, I think we need to have a little chat. There are rules in place at Casa Williams for a reason." I planted my hands on my hips and gave him my most intimidating scowl. "Have a seat."

I watched as his shoulders slumped before settling into the armchair. He looked up at me with a pout, but there was a twinkle of amusement in his eyes.

"Look, I've heard all about your recent troubles," I began, keeping my voice gentle. "And you have to believe me when I say I have all the sympathy in the world for you."

I moved closer, taking his hand in mine so he'd know I wasn't really scolding him. "But Lila told me just this afternoon that if you don't shape up, you won't have a place in your daughter's life."

He winced, the gesture causing the sorrow to wash over me. "I suppose that's not all that unexpected, now, is it? She has another man beside her who could easily fulfill the fatherly role."

"Hey," I snapped, wagging a finger. "While I don't agree with the way they went about it all, Lila and Elijah are not to blame for your recent behavior."

His cheeks reddened as he glowered at me from the chair.

"I want to help you, Kol. I want you to be the father that I know you can be to your little girl, but you have got to get your shit together." I began pacing the floor in front of him, his eyes now following my every move.