The eye experiment

//TW: GORE//

It happened when we were 12
Doctor strapped me to the table as I screamed for help, the straps digging into my skin as I fought to get free. They rolled Markus in on a soft bed.

Now that I think about it I wonder how they did all this in the 1800's.

They made sure Markus was going to be okay during the surgery. After that everything was painful. I remember every incision they made, every time blood poured out. I passed out plenty of times but still woke up to the pain of that surgery. When it was all over and done I came out being blind out of my right eye, Markus's eye. Markus had his full vision in both eyes. After the surgery Markus had no pain or anything, he didn't know pain. I developed an infection to the point that I scratched my face, but never the eye. I bled almost daily because of the infection. Markus stayed away from me for a few weeks after our eyes were swithed. But when he came to deliver the extra food he stole he dropped everything, terrified. He held me and looked at what our parents had done to me. It was the first time I would ever see him truely hate our parents. I remember him picking me up as if I was a feather, was I really that malnourished? He barged into our parents room and screamed. He didn't stop screaming at them, even when they tried to calm him down.

What did I do to deserve such a great brother?

When he finally calmed down he cried and sat on the floor, holding me tightly. Even when they tried to take me away from him he held on. I wish I knew how to react to it all, I sat there, frozen in shock.

What should I have done?