the meeting

T H E  S O U N D  O F  applause rose when the performer landed on his feet. A sense of pride washed over his face as he straightened up. I felt the muscles in my face start to ache. A good ache.

I couldn't believe that I was finally in New York City, and standing on the streets of Times Square felt surreal. Instead of watching the city through the TV screen like my family did every single New Year's Eve, I was standing in the place where it all happens. Except I was here in the middle of summer, but you get the point.

The city was alive with the brightest colors as the faces of celebrities flashed on the many screens here. It was crazy, but I loved every single aspect of it.

I could feel the adrenaline running through my veins, leaving a beautiful feeling in its path. The performers raised their hands up and down and soon shouts from the crowd synchronized with their motions. I'm in New York, I thought once again, still not believing it.

I took my eyes away from the performers and looked around once again. The different colors illuminated all the smiling faces who were walking past me. My eyes swept down, and I was not prepared to see him.

On the right side of the half-circle that surrounded the street performance, he stood. Light brown curls toppled over his head in a slightly messy way but perfectly nonetheless. His skin, which was a light shade of olive that still contrasted with his dark locks of hair. His face was illuminated by all the colors from the screens in the most beautiful way. Unimaginable high and prominent cheekbones were paired with a carved and sharp jawline.

My breath was stuck in my throat. My heart skipped a beat. As if my mind was as mesmerized as I was and forgot about the things that were needed. Time has stopped for me; hours passed by but in the back of my head, I knew only a few seconds did.

No matter how hard I tried to get my eyes off him, no matter how many times I told myself to stop looking at him or else he will notice, I couldn't. It was like my eyes became selfish and that following common sense was stupid.

My eyes darted to his lips as I saw them curve into a grin. Full pink lips showed off his pearly white teeth. I felt my cheeks warm as I finally pulled my eyes off him.

As soon as my black sneakers came into view, it felt like I could finally take a breath. I let out a shaky exhale as I gulped in as much air as possible. I blinked a few times as I woke up from whatever trance I was in. The reaction I had from seeing that stranger was something that I never expected. Sure, I've seen attractive people in my life, but he was the first and only one that had so much power over me.

Before my mind even registered the movement, my eyes came back to the beautiful man. I peeled my eyes away the moment they landed on him.

" Mama, let's go," my brother said, as if exasperated.

My mouth opened but I quickly shut it when I realized that I was about to protest. Oh god, why am I acting like I've fallen in love with him? I scolded myself. My mom nodded and smiled when her brown eyes met mine.

" Do you like New York?" she asked me.

I smiled at her and my cheeks reddened from what happened.

"Yes, it's beautiful," I said.

~

I thought that I could at least keep my mouth shut about the previous events until I came to the Airbnb to tell mama or wait until the next day to call Laurs. I thought wrong.

As soon as we walked away, and the crowd couldn't be seen, I took a deep breath through my nose and smiled like a maniac. Mama, being my mom (obviously), noticed that I had a big grin on my face for absolutely no reason and questioned me silently with a raised brow.