39. the basilisk

     HARRY GRABBED HARPER'S HAND AND THE TWO OF THEM backed away until they hit the dark chamber wall

     HARRY GRABBED HARPER'S HAND AND THE TWO OF THEM backed away until they hit the dark chamber wall. She could hear Fawkes taking flight and wondered if he'd leave them in such a danger.

Something huge hit the stone floor of the chamber, Harper felt it shudder. She squeezed Harry's hand when Riddle hissed again and he squeezed back. Both of tjen knew that the Basilisk was here.

It was moving towards them, Harper could here its heavy body slithering ponderously across the firsts floor. With their eyes still tightly shut, Harry dragged her with him. Riddle was laughing . . .

Harry tripped and pulled her with him. Harper fell hard on the floor and her head banged against it. She could feel blood making its way down her face.

Harper knew the Basilisk was barely feet from them, she could hear it coming, and she gripped Harry tightly.

"I love you," she murmured, burying her head into his shoulder.

"I love you too," he said, pulling her closer and waiting for their incoming deaths.

There was a loud, explosive spitting sound right above them and then something heavy hit then so hard that they were smashed against the wall. Waiting for fangs to sink through her body, Harper heard more mad hissing, something trashing wildly off the pillars.

She couldn't help it. She opened her eyes wide enough to squint at what was going on. As she glanced at Harry, he too had opened his eyes.

The enormous serpent, bright, poisonous green, thick as an oak trunk, had raised itself high in the air and its great blunt head was weaving drunkenly between the pillars. As Harper trembled, ready to close her eyes if it turned, she saw what had distracted the snake.

Fawkes was soaring around its head, and the Basilisk was snapping furiously at him with fangs long and thin as sabres. Fawkes dived. His long golden beak sank out of sight and a sudden shower of dark blood spattered the floor. The snake's tail thrashed, narrowly missing Harry and Harper, and before they could shut their eyes, it turned. Harper looked straight into its face, and saw that its eyes, both its great bulbous yellow eyes, had been punctured by the phoenix; blood was streaming to the floor and the snake was spitting in agony.