40. dobby's reward

     FOR A MOMENT, THERE WAS SILENCE AS HARPER, HARRY, RON, GINNY AND LOCKHART STOOD IN THE DOORWAY, covered in much and slime and blood

     FOR A MOMENT, THERE WAS SILENCE AS HARPER, HARRY, RON, GINNY AND LOCKHART STOOD IN THE DOORWAY, covered in much and slime and blood. Then there was a scream.

"Ginny!"

It was Molly, who had been sitting crying in front of the fire. She leapt to her feet, closely followed by Arthur, and both of them flung themselves on their daughter.

Harper, however, still leaning on Harry, looked past them. Professor Dumbledore was standing by the mantelpiece, beaming, next to Professor McGonagell, who was taking great, steadying gasps, clothing her chest.

Fawkes went whooshing past them and settled on Dumbledore's shoulder, just as Harper found herself, Harry and Ron being swept into Molly's tight embrace. Harper let out a yelp of pain and ducked under her arms.

"You saved her! You saved her! How did you do it?" Molly squealed, not noticing Harper scurrying away.

"I think we'd all like to know that," Professor McGonagell said weakly.

Harper stumbled to the desk and laid the Sorting Hat and the sword upon it. she then took the diary from her robes and let it fall on top of it.

"Harry can do the explaining, I just need to sit down for a moment," she murmured, falling down on a chair and clutching her ribs, as if it would help against the pain.

Harry started telling them everything. For nearly a quarter of an hour he spoke into the rapt silence: he told them about hearing the disembodied voice, how Hermione had finally realized that he was hearing a Basilisk in the pipes; how he, Ron and Harper had followed the spiders into the Forest, that Aragog had told them where the last victim of the Basilisk had died; how Harper had guessed that Moaning Myrtle had been the victim, and that the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets might be in her bathroom . . .

"Very well," Professor McGonagell prompted him, as he paused, "so you found out where them entrance was—breaking a hundred school rules into pieces along the way, I might add—but how on earth did you all get out of there alive, Potter?"