11: The Coronation and a Declaration

This morning I was so excited and nervous for what the day ahead would bring, I awoke at dawn and was one-step ahead of my surprised maids so I started drawing my bath. They looked quite perplexed when they came in and saw me already up and waiting for them, boiling the water over the fire. They are probably wondering what on earth has happened to me on this trip to turn me into nearly a completely new person. Once I was washed, I started getting dressed into my stunning floor length ball gown, designed especially for Prince Nikolaos' coronation, which is pale blue in colour, velvet in material, and has pink roses stitched into the bodice and at the top of the sleeves, which trail and scrape along the ground. The skirts are a full tulle, which twirls around me and floats elegantly to the ground, which hides my pink heels.

My maids apply some simple makeup on me; just a little powder and red lipstick to accentuate my features. My hair is pinned up in an elaborate updo with pearl pins to match my pearl necklace, with a few strands left out to frame my face. I eat a quick breakfast of oats and honey, before meeting my father and Princess Ariana outside so we can ride in a carriage to the coronation together. The coronation ceremony is taking place in a centuries old church on the other side of Kings Peak, where every King of Kustrington has been coronated and married at for centuries. Nestled into the side of the mountain, it is a grand structure made of old stone with stained glass, and you can see the rising spire and bell tower for miles around. Our carriage is currently waiting fifth in the queue to be accepted entry, but I do not mind waiting as I have Ariana to talk to. Her family is riding in another carriage ahead of us.

When we are finally first in the queue my father exits with Ariana and me behind him, and a helpful steward shows us to our place in the chapel. There is a quiet hum of chatter inside, and beautiful imported flowers perfume the room, along with incense and a thousand candles attached to a large chandelier hanging overhead. Inside it is brightly lit, with a small choir singing a soft tune standing to the left of the raised platform where Nicky's throne is seated. The floor is made out of encaustic tiles, and the walls are all in white sheen, with the high beams in the ceilings golden in material and colour. We are sat three rows from the front, surrounded by other ally Royal families and the important people of Kustrington dressed in their eye-catching finery. A few moments later the bells start ringing a joyous tune, highlighting the fact that today the kingdom gets a new monarch.

By the time the royal fanfare starts, signifying Nicky's arrival, I am most anxious to see him, and there is a nervous hum of anticipation throughout the room. There are around forty guests all waiting to see the new King. When he walks in, I cannot help but stare awestruck, by the vision of masculinity he is. His golden hair is neatly combed back, highlighting his already sharpened features, and his beard is freshly trimmed. The royal garments he has on emphasises his wealth and power, and I do not think there is a single woman in the chapel who did not swoon at the sight of him. As he walks down the thick red carpet, I am surprised to find him looking in the crowds, presumably to find someone, until he makes eye contact with me and gives me a not so subtle wink, causing me to blush. Did anyone else notice?

When he reaches the platform where the archbishop is awaiting his arrival, the choir quietens down and he turns to face his audience, his purple cloak sliding along the floor behind him. He just looks so handsome that I find myself not wanting to take me eyes off him and wanting to hide him away from all the other females vying for his attention.

He is the most eligible man in the land.

When the ceremony draws to a close, the archbishop anoints Nicky with holy water and then his assistants offer the King the orb and spectre, which he takes willingly. With one in each hand, he then proceeds to recite his vowels to become sworn in as King.

"Do you, Prince Nikolaos Charles Sweyn Heinrich Drembleton promise to rule the citizens of Kustrington with honour, mercy and as according to the law?"