012. redemption and salvation

"I SWEAR TO god, Cara, you did not just call shotgun," I groaned as the three of us were led to the holding place for all of the CIA's vehicles. As I expected, they were all different models and sizes, but they were all the same jet black, silver lining their windows. The uniformity of it all was practically sickening.

"What?" Cara held up her hands, her mouth hanging open and her eyebrows furrowed down. "Who knows how long it's gonna be before we get the dumbass back? I'm not sharing the backseat with you two."

Sam stared blankly ahead, holding his hands in front of him as if they were still handcuffed. "I don't like this," he whispered to me, his head leaning down to keep his words as quiet as possible. "I don't like it at all."

I nodded. "I know. It's too fishy to be good news." I knew the CIA too well to trust any of their shenanigans. Whatever this was, they were just laying the noose around our necks. And when we finally did what they asked, they'd tighten the loop and strangle us.

We've got a common goal, Ross had said. Only minutes ago, that was the beginning of the plan to save Bucky.

Now, just a few moments later, I was cursing myself for ever agreeing with it. This wasn't a rescue mission. This was just Ross's way of using us to get to the so-called criminal that he was still entrusted to collect.

They didn't know the real Bucky, and it was likely that they never would. Not like Sam, Cara, Steve, and I knew him. But then again, we were his only shot at redemption. If we failed, he'd never have any luck at becoming the person he wanted to be in this new age. He'd probably never live much longer if we failed.

Gulping down my doubts, I followed Wretton to the large sedan that he climbed into, waiting for us to follow suit. When everyone was in, Cara in the passenger seat, Wretton turned around to look at us.

"Okay," he said gruffly, though his voice was lacking any hostility, "here's how this is gonna go. I'm here to be your escort and your confidant. I will be your guide when you need assistance. You will not disobey any direct orders that I give you, or you will be placed under arrest and charged as fugitives of the law. I will be here the entire time to help bring Barnes in, and you will treat me with respect, just as I will do for you." His light eyes shifted between the three of us. "Is that clear?"

I nodded. He knows what the hell he's doing, I thought admiringly. I wonder if Cade was that good. The thought pained me to run its course in my brain.

"Whatever you say, Red," Cara smirked, putting her feet up on the dashboard. "You know, you'd be a really good coach for little league baseball. You've got the tone in the bag, but we'll have to work on your pep talk."

I could see Wretton raise an eyebrow in the rearview mirror, and I blushed when he connected eyes with me. "This one, too?" He asked me in a slight growl.

Shrugging, I managed, "Couldn't help it, Red," with a small grin to top it off. For a second I was afraid that he would scowl and throw a rude retort in my face, but then he just scoffed and started the engine, pulling out of the parking lot and onto the street.

Beside me, Sam leaned in again to whisper, "How do you know this guy?"

"I was her assigned bodyguard for a week," Wretton answered without a second glance at him, but for some reason I felt like he could see the shock that registered on Sam's face. "There's no reason to whisper," he said. "If we're going to work on this case together, there's got to be full disclosure. No secrets. Let's start with," he turned his head to stare at Cara, who was biting her nails, "how you managed to break into headquarters without anyone noticing right away."