Chapter 14: Little Friend

Well, I was right. Lockhart's been hanging out with Rose. Caught him giving me a smug look when she wasn't looking. I ranted about it to Sirius later and Lockhart didn't show up for classes the next day. Apparently, Sirius had found a way to completely dye him Gryffindor red and he had been too embarrassed to show himself. I love my brother.

**

Leo skipped up the stairs toward the hospital wing, humming a small tune as he did so. The night had gone quite well so far. He was free from Umbridge's clutches, he'd - hopefully – be getting his hand healed soon, and Minnie was most likely tearing Umbridge a whole host of new ones. The blonde sighed in disappointment at the last thought, wishing he was there to see it. Oh well. Guess I'll just have to be content with what I have now. He grumbled to himself.

He paused for a moment as he saw a flash of light pass by just out of the corner of his eye. He blinked slowly before shaking his head, deciding that he had imagined whatever it was. He continued upward, reaching the fourth floor and going along the corridor until he finally reached the double doors of the hospital wing.

He opened the door, striding inside and opening his mouth to announce his presence when Madam Pomfrey appeared beside him, startling him. She grabbed his right arm, closely examining his bandaged hand and tapping it with her wand. She stared at it for a moment, critically looking it over before tutting and gently pulling him over to one of the beds, where she ordered him to lay down.

Leo did as she asked, figuring he'd be out sooner if he just did as she asked and got his hand seen to. She left him alone, returning a few minutes later with a bowl of yellow liquid. She placed the bowl on a tray table and pushed it closer to him. He stared at the bowl, wrinkling his nose at the slightly sour smell before looking up at Madam Pomfrey with a raised eyebrow.

"Am I supposed to drink this?" he inquired, not really wanting to.

"Of course not," she replied, giving him an odd look. "It's murtlap essence – it'll help with the healing. Just soak your hand in it."

"Oh, all right then," he shrugged.

He slowly placed his hand into the bowl, hissing with relief at the cooling effect it had on his hand. This is nice.... why didn't Hermione or Draco think of this? I thought they were supposed to be the smart ones. He mused thoughtfully, leaning back against his pillow and watching as Madam Pomfrey bustled around, searching through cabinets and mumbling to herself furiously all the while.

"Out of dittany..." she was saying. "Have to talk to Pomona -"

"So, how long do I have to be here for? I have an essay from Binns to write and one from Umbridge to completely ignore," Leo informed her in a bored tone.

"At the very least, you'll be here until tomorrow morning," she told him, pursing her lips at his aghast expression. "Professor McGonagall was quite clear that she wanted you to stay here."

Leo opened his mouth to argue before shutting it abruptly. Minnie had already done so much for him, why should he argue with her instructions now? Instead, he gave a grumpy sigh, accepting the pajamas Madam Pomfrey handed him before she set up some curtains around him. When did Minnie even -? He began to wonder as he gingerly slid his right hand out of his shirt. That flash of light I saw earlier... a Patronus? He considered, finishing undressing before putting on his pajamas and flopping onto the bed.

Madam Pomfrey removed the curtains, checked on his hand, and strode back to her office. Leo placed his hand back in the bowl, staring up at the ceiling in abject boredom. Minutes ticked by, giving way to hours as the hospital wing slowly darkened. Madam Pomfrey came back every so often to examine his hand, nodding in approval before she departed back to her office. Leo was beginning to consider reading one of the books in his bag when he heard the hospital wing doors open and close.