Chapter Thirty Nine

Tavia had always been the good child

Tavia had always been the good child. Tavius used to say it was only fitting, given how much he and Libby rebelled against their mother. "Someone has to balance the scales," he'd say.

Tavia did a lot of balancing.

"Have you made any calls?" Redbud asked tersely from the passenger seat, looking remarkably less regal covered in soot and blood. Her sword lay against her knee, scabbard missing, and there were wrinkles around her mouth that hadn't been there last week.

"Yes, of course." Tavia couldn't call on support as efficiently as her twin, but she was good at managing situations that weren't her fault. She hadn't had any experience with forest fires and the escape of her slightly-homicidal elder sister, but a lifetime of dodging death attempts made her very flexible.

It also made her very paranoid. Sometimes, that turned out to be a good thing.

"Fire brigade is an hour out, at the least. The PR team is already coming up with the official statement. Imogen will email it to everyone as soon as it's ready." She caught a glimpse of August in the rear view mirror, his face slack and soft. "TT, can you check on Baby? Make sure he doesn't have smoke inhalation or something?"

An aspen groaned and teetered towards the narrow road, branches bright orange with fire. Tavia jerked the wheel to avoid it. Redbud gripped the dash, knuckles white and a hiss escaping between her teeth, and the guys in the back shouted as burning leaves and ash swirled overhead. A few branches bounced off the tailgate, throwing sparks and flaming twigs into the bed. They jumped up, slapping at their pants, but Tavia was more worried about the truck's paint.