Her Ache

I pull up Rachel's driveway and a million things are running through my head.

My life has been so plain all this time and now there is so much drama I can hardly stomach it. I guess as humans we are never satisfied. We crave chaos.

My phone rings and it's Martin. Seeing his name makes my inside quiver. I quickly answer.

"Hello" I say softly.

"Hey doll face." His deep voice fills me with desire. "What are you doing today?"

"Well I'm at Rachel's now but I don't have any plans. What's up?"

"Meet me around lunch. I'll send you the address." He says stern.

"Ok, sounds like a mystery." I say nervously.

"See you soon."

He is so confident it's intimidating and attractive. I hope I can focus while I'm with Rachel.

I decide to leave my phone in the car so I'm not distracted during my visit. I head inside and for the first time ever it feels cold and depressing inside.

I see Rachel laying on the couch still in her pajamas.

"Hey, what's wrong?" She has been crying.

"Everything." She sits up. Her face swollen from crying.

"Tell me."

"Well the truth is Tanner and his partner want Abigail. Tanner told Luke everything and they want to raise her."

"WHAT? That's insane." I am so angry.

"I told Neil everything. He left. He needed time to think. He stayed with Scott in the city."

"I heard." I sit down next to Rachel. "How do you feel about Abigail?" I am terrified to hear her answer.

"She has a family. I think anyway." She blows her nose and falls back into the couch. "I loved him. I gave up my daughter for him." She says sobbing. "Now he is destroying my marriage." She buries her face in her hands.

"Rachel." I rub her back and wait for the right moment. " I know who adopted Abigail. I know her."

Rachel snaps up so quickly and has the most shocked look on her face. "What?......Who?....dammit Abby who?"

"Gordon."

"The principal?" She is still in shock. Her voice so high pitched. "What the fuck."

"Tanner and Neil were friends-" I start to explain but she interrupts.

"I know. It all makes sense now." She begins pacing the room. One second she is crying, the next she is laughing.

I continue to sit in silence but watching her go mad is honestly frightening.

"Rachel, can you talk to me please. You're scaring me."

"I can't let Tanner have her. I have always loved him but this is too much." She finally sits and takes a deep breath. "I need alcohol."

"Me too." We both laugh. "I need to talk to Gordon . He is freaking out."

"Yeah." She takes a deep breath. "I can't believe Gordon is the one."

"Me either"

"Is she happy?"

"Yes, she is beautiful. Her name is River."

"Yeah?" She smiles. "That's a nice name." Rachel jumps up and starts picking up some dirty dishes from the coffee table. "I'm gonna clean up and get ready for Neil to come home."