Chapter nine.

"A party?" Elizabeth asked as she watched another man she didn't know enter her house carrying cleaning supplies.

"Yes, with this promotion up for so many different people we have to kiss some serious executive ass."

Elizabeth fell silent, her arms hugging herself close. Jordan had just informed her over breakfast about the party the next evening. Already he had caterers lined up and waiters and insisted on having professionals clean the house.

"I don't like all these strangers," she said softly.

"Liz, you gotta cooperate with me here. If I want this promotion my boss needs to see us as a sturdy, healthy family."

"Are we?" she asked.

"What?"

"A stable, healthy family?"

He paused a second and looked at her then shook his head and went back to shoving papers in his briefcase.

"I don't know why you would even ask that," he said.

He slammed his briefcase close and she jumped at the sound, she didn't like parties and this would be the first one she had ever hosted.

"I'll order you a dress and have it delivered....size 10 I think, you haven't lost the weight from Mya yet," Jordan said as he glanced at her.

"What about the kids?" She asked.

"What about them?"

"I can see if Chet and Craig want to watch them."

He paused seeming to think about it for a while then shook his head as he began to tighten his tie.

"No, let them stay here. It will look good for my boss if he sees me as an involved parent."

"an involved parent would get Alex a puppy," She pointed out.

"Yeah Liz, that's what we need at a black tie event a fucking puppy."

He rolled his eyes, clearly disgusted by the entire conversation. He grabbed his briefcase from the counter and headed to the door pausing to drop a kiss on her forehead on his way out.

She watched him go as he passed more cleaners on his way out the door, convinced that her cleaning wouldn't be good enough.

She didn't like the idea of being judged in her own home by people she didn't know, people who would analyze everything about her. From her mousey brown hair to her high school education, she would be an exhibit for Jordan's colleagues.

"Mrs. Park?" A man to her right snapped her from her thoughts.