Part 6

Avni rushes to Bebe. She helps her lie down and places her hand on her head, checking for a fever.

'Bebe aap toh bohot garam.'

Avni worries.

'Medicines....i forgot....' Bebe says, struggling.

Avni, without hesitating, runs to the bathroom and grabs a cold towel, placing it on Bebe's head. She quickly finds Bebe's pills, pours a glass of water, and helps her take it.

Bebe begins to calm down, and is able to see Avni helping her. Avni sees that Bebe's eyes are open.

'Are you okay, Bebe?'

Bebe nods slightly.

'Wait. I'll wet the towel again.'

She goes to the bathroom and comes back, helping Bebe to sit up.

Suddenly, the Khanna family enter, worriedly, Neil included. He sits beside Bebe.

'Bebe. Aap tikhu?'

He holds her hand, scared.

'Haan Tillu. Tikhu.' She moves the towel, which Avni takes and puts down.

'Oh Bebe. You forgot to take your medicines again?' Prakash scolds his mother.

'Mein abhi tikhu. Aap log jinta kyun karay ho?' Bebe asks.

Shweta sees Avni.

'Oye madam ji. Hatiyeh. Mein Bebe ko kyal rak sakti.' Shweta taunts Avni.

Avni is about to get up, but Bebe holds her hand to stop her.

'Puttar. Tune kitni kyal rakha mere ko. And all i've done is cause you problems.'

Avni shakes her head, but Bebe continues.

'Mujhe maaf kardo, bahu.'

Avni is shocked, but smiles, and Shweta fumes.

'Bebe...' Shweta is cut off by Bebe.

'Chup kar.' Bebe places a hand on Neil's face.

'Tu bhi maaf kardo, Tillu. Itne saalo baad tum ghar aya, aur mein...' Bebe gets emotional.

'Bebe...' Neil shakes his head.

'Tune bilkul saay kardi ya, bahu ko ghar lika.' Bebe says.

Neil looks at Avni and smiles.

Bebe takes Avni's hand and puts it on Neil's.

'Hamesha ek dusre ke saat rao.'

Avni cries, out of Bebe's acceptance, as Prakash and Riya also smile.

'Mujhe ek baat kehne ti.' Bebe says.
Everyone listens intently, even an angry Shweta.

'I want to hold a party. Tomorrow night. To celebrate Neil's shaadi.'

'Bebe! Yeh toh bohot achi idea hain!' Riya gets excited.

Neil looks at Avni, who avoids him, as he acknowledges she is still angry at him. Shweta tries to make excuses.

'Likin Bebe. Apke tabiyet...'

'Mein tikho. Anyways, bahu hai. Vo mera kyal rakhungi zaroor.'
Avni smiles as Bebe caresses her face.

'Saab log tayari karo!' Bebe exclaims.

__________

Everyone is busy with preparations. The Khanna mansion is being decorated with red roses and black decor. Shweta watches the workers from the side, annoyed.

In their room, Neil talks to Avni.

'Avni. I'm sorry. Ki mehne tume nahi batay that I'm working on Kabir's case.'

Avni stares at him, whilst he continues.

'Likin tum jante hun. Kabir mere dost ti. And in no way do I think what he did was right. But I have to do this Avni. Kabir kiliye.'

Neil looks away. Avni goes to him. She is about to place a hand on his shoulder, but moves it away.

'Baas mujhe ye saab dhur rakna. I can't go through these memories again.'

Neil nods, understanding.

'Jo tumne Bebe kiliye kiya...thank you.'

'Mujhe kush is baat ko Neil, ki Bebe mujhe apna liya.'
Avni responds, and smiles.

'Ye shaadi jhuta nahi hain.'

Neil is shocked. Avni looks at him and leaves.

__________

Later, Bebe comes to their room.

'Bebe aap?' Neil asks.

'Bahu kaha hain?'

Avni comes out of the bathroom. Bebe sees her and smiles.

'I came to give you this red wali saree. Tu bohot sundor lagonge is rang mein.'

Avni takes the box. Neil smiles seeing this.

'Thank you Bebe.'

'Acha tum dono jaldi se tayar ho ja. Saab log aray hain soon.' Bebe leaves.

Avni goes to change, whilst Neil changes into a red shirt and black blazer, as requested by Bebe.

Avni shouts to Neil from the bathroom.

'Neil?!'

'Avni? Kya hua?' He goes near to the bathroom.

'Can you call Riya please? I need help fixing the back of my saree.'

'Haan. Ek minute.' He responds and goes to call Riya, who informs Neil that she is busy.

'Tu help kar, Avni ko!' Riya shouts to him.

Neil worries. He finally goes in the bathroom.

'Riya! Please mujhe help karo.' Avni says.

Avni's blouse is undone at the back, and her saree is yet to be draped.

She sees Neil approaching from the mirror, and instantly gathers her arms around herself.

'Vo Riya nahi apaya. Mein help kardita hu.'

Neil goes closer to Avni, who looks down, to avoid eye contact in the mirror.

Neil touches her back gently, moving his fingers across to pick up the strings of her blouse. Avni squeezes her eyes shut, from his touch. He ties her blouse, but keeps his fingers tracing her back, Avni unknown to the fact that it is already tied. She breathes heavily, as Neil moves his fingers to her neck, whilst using his other hand to pick up the saree drape.

Placing it over her shoulder, he holds his hand on her shoulder, whilst fumbling near the sink for a pin. He looks in the mirror to see Avni's eyes still shut, and sheepishly he smiles.

He pins her saree, before quietly whispering in her ear.

'Hogaya.' And he quickly leaves, whilst Avni clutches her chest to control her breathing.

__________

Shweta walks into the house study, looking for something. Brushing past the table, her dupatta drops a few files.

'Oof.'

She bends to pick them up, and comes across a file titled 'Kabir Singh Murder Case'.

Confused, she opens it.

Whilst reading she is shocked, and thinks for a while before a sinister smile appears on her face.

'Ab tumhara din katam, Avni.'

__________

End of part 6