44. crookshanks

     AS THE DAYS SLIPPED BY, Harper and Harry started looking wherever they went for a sign of Ron or Hermione

     AS THE DAYS SLIPPED BY, Harper and Harry started looking wherever they went for a sign of Ron or Hermione. Plenty of Hogwarts students were arriving in Diagon Alley now, with the start of term so far.

They met Seamus and Dean, their fellow Gryffindors, in Quality Quidditch Supplies, where they, too, were ogling the Firebolt; they also ran into Neville outside Flourish and Blotts.

Harry woke her up on the last day of the holidays and Harper thought that they would at least meet Ron and Hermione tomorrow, on the Hogwarts Express. She got up, dressed and the two of them went for a last look at the Firebolt, and were just wondering were they'd have lunch, when someone yelled their names.

"Harry! Harper!"

They were there, both of them, sitting outside Florean Fortescue's Ice-Cream Parlour, Ron looking incredibly freckly, Hermione very brown, both waving frantically at us.

"Finally!" Ron said, grinning at the siblings as they sat down. "We went to the Leaky Cauldron, but they said the two of you had left, and we went to Flourish and Blotts, and Madam Malkin's, and—"

"We got all our stuff last week," Harry explained. "And how come you know we were staying at the Leaky Cauldron?"

"Dad," Ron said simply.

"Did you really blow up your aunt, Harry?" Hermione asked in a very serious voice.

"I didn't mean to," Harry replied, while Ron and Harper roared with laughter. "I just—lost control."

"It's not funny, Ron, Harper," Hermione said sharply. "Honestly, I'm amazed Harry wasn't expelled."

"So am I," Harry admitted. "Forget expelled, I thought I was going to be arrested." He looked at Ron. "Your dad doesn't know why Fudge let me off, does he?"

"Probably 'cause it's you, isn't it?" Ron shrugged, still chuckling. "Famous Harry Potter and all that. I'd hate to see what the Ministry would do to me if I blew up my aunt. Mind you, they'd have to dig me up first, because Mum would've killed me. Anyway, you can ask dad yourself this evening. We're staying at the Leaky Cauldron tonight, too! So the two of you can come to King's Cross with us tomorrow! Hermione's there as well!"