chapter fifteen

mackenzie's pov:

he kissed the top of my head and my body loosen up. my eyes started to get heavy. I closed them and drifted back to sleep.

\7:21 am\

I woke up to johnny shaking me gently. we packed up and started walking once again.

lauren: “I'm hungry”.

maddie: “i am too Lauren. don't worry we will eat something soon”.

mackenzie: “I'm bored. there's nothing to do”.

johnny: “you could listen to music you know. you purposely brought your headphones”.

mackenzie: “that's because I don't go anywhere without them dumbass”.

maddie: “guys shut up”.

mackenzie: “no maddie”.

maddie: “no I really mean it shut up!”

she put a hand over my mouth. we stopped walking and stayed quiet. we all listened carefully. we heard a bark in the distance.

lauren: “police dogs. run!”

we all started sprinting through the woods to get as far away from the dogs as possible. we stopped running when we reached a big creek.

mackenzie: “run through it. they will lose are scent go!”

we ran through the water and kept running as fast as we could. for forty-five minutes we ran through the woods trying to get as far way as the police as possible. we stopped running to let our bodies rest for a little bit.

maddie: “we have to keep moving”.

mackenzie: “can you let us rest first?”

maddie: “we don't have time they move quickly. the dogs will help them find us faster. if we get caught we will be arrested. all four of us will”.

lauren looked over at Maddie shocked.

lauren: “wait, we will be arrested?!”

maddie nodded her head.

we all got back up and started walking once again.

\11:35 pm\

we've been walking all morning. I saw a McDonald's sign through the trees.

mackenzie: “are you guys hungry?”

lauren: “very”.

mackenzie: “there's a McDonald's over there. we can get some food and use the bathroom”.

maddie: “let's go”.

we walked out of the woods and went inside the McDonald's.

maddie, lauren, and i, separated from John and walked inside the women's restroom. I did my business and walked out of the stall. I washed my hands and waited for Lauren and Maddie to come out.

we ordered our food and ate inside. after we finished we walked outside and around to the back of McDonald's. we looked around and made sure that no one was around.

we ran back into the woods. I turned my airpods on and turned on some music. walking through the woods is boring. there was silence between all four of us. not a awkward one but a comfortable silence.

\11:59 pm\

it was getting cold. we stopped walking and settled down for the night. johnny sat down next to me and leaned back against the tree. I looked down and played with my fingers in my lap.

johnny: “maddie how far are we?”

maddie: “almost halfway there. we walk really fast”.

I took my phone off of airplane mode accidentally and got an alert.

°°°
Amber alert.

maddie ziegler, mackenzie ziegler, johnny orlando, and lauren orlando are missing. they were last seen at their houses. if you see any of them contact the Pittsburgh police department immediately.

°°°

mackenzie: “guys look at this!”

I handed Maddie my phone and lauren and johnny looked at the screen.

maddie: “shit”.

lauren: “we have a higher chance of getting caught now”.

maddie: “we have to be extra careful now”.

mackenzie: “is anyone tired?”

johnny: “nope”.

lauren: “not even close”.

maddie: “no, not at all”.

mackenzie: “can we walk throughout the rest of the night? none of us are tired and not a lot of people drive at night so our chances of getting caught decreases”.

lauren: “that's sounds good. let's go”.

____________________________________

{630 words}

thank you so much for reading.

comment if you like this story because I'm thinking of unpublishing it.