45. dementor

     HARPER WAS WOKEN UP BY RON WHO BARGED INTO HER ROOM, pulling a sweatshirt over his head and looking irritable

"The sooner we get on the train, the better," he said. "At least I can get away from Percy at Hogwarts. Now he's accusing me of dripping tea on his photo of Penelope Clearwater. You know," Ron grimaced as he sat down on her bed, "his girlfriend. She's hidden her face under the frame because her nose has gone all blotchy . . ."

Harper rolled my eyes, ordered Ron to turn around and got dressed. A knock on the door made the two of them look up.

"Yeah?" Harper called out and Harry came in.

"I've got something to tell you," Harry began, but they were interrupted by Fred and George, who had looked in to congratulate Ron on infuriating Percy again.

They headed down to breakfast, where Arthur was reading the front page of the Daily Prophet with a furrowed brow and Molly was telling Hermione and Ginny about a Love Potion she'd made as a young girl. All three of them were rather giggly.

"What were you saying?" Ron asked Harry, as they sat down.

"Later," Harry murmured, as Percy stormed in.

After breakfast, they dragged their trunks downstairs together with their cages. A small wickerwork basket stood beside the heap of trunks, spitting loudly.

"It's all right, Crookshanks," Hermione cooed through the wickerwork. "I'll let you out on the train."

"You won't," Ron snapped. "What about poor Scabbers, eh?" He pointed at his chest, where a large lump indicated that Scabbers was curled up in his pocket.

Arthur, who had been outside waiting for the Ministry cars, stuck his head inside.

"They're here," he said. "Harry, come on."

Hermione, Ron, Percy and Harper followed Harry into a car.

The journey to King's Cross was very uneventful, Harper noticed. They reached King's Cross with twenty minutes to spare; the Ministry drivers found trolleys, unloaded their trunks, touched their heads to Arthur and drove away, somehow managing to jump to the head of an unmoving queue for the traffic lights.