•𝓉𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎 𝓉𝓌𝑜•

The cold air of my apartment nipped at my skin as I slipped on the dress. I fixed the sleeves on my shoulders, spreading out the fabric to fit over the top of my arms. I smoothed out the dress and stepped back to look at myself in the mirror.
As I check over my appearance one more time, something seemed off. It wasn't the hair or the makeup or the dress. I look down at my feet and stared at the heels. My face crunched up before I kicked them off and slipped on a pair of red, beat up, high top converse.
"There, that's better." I smiled at myself in the mirror when the thought finally crossed my mind. For one night I get to be normal. Finally.

I walked out into my living room to the room being dark, quiet and empty. I sighed as I turned on the lights, picking up the note from my dad on the counter.
Sorry I couldn't be here to take you to homecoming. You promised you'd send me pictures though, so I expect some! Don't stay out too late and no boys at the house after 11. You know the rules. Love you, dad.

I sighed and put the note back down on the countertop. I grabbed my jacket and bag from the chair and searched through, turning my head to the piece of gray fabric on the recliner. I picked it up and ran it through my hands, letting my hands run over the blue lightening bolt I'd printed on it a few days ago. I considered leaving it at my apartment but decided against it. I stuck the suit in my bag and grabbed the keys to my house, putting those in my bag too. I walked over and turned the door handle.

"I thought I was coming to pick you up?" I turned around to Peter sitting in the corner of the room like a weirdo with a smirk on his face. I crossed my arms over my chest.
"Why do you always sneak up on me like that?" I tapped my foot and pretended to be annoyed despite the large smile on my face. Peter noticed the smile as he stood up.
"Because it's fun to watch you scream like a five year old." He let out a laugh while my face dropped into an angry scowl.
"It's not funny." He just laughed harder. "Stop laughing!" I huffed and stood there with my hands crossed over my chest and glaring at Peter.
He finally stopped laughing and smiled at me. "You're cute when you're mad." I widened my eyes and looked down, blushing while I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.
"We-We should probably get going, we don't wanna be late getting to Liz's." Peter stood there with his hands in his pockets, gaze focused on me with his mouth slightly open. "What? Why are you staring at me like that?"
"I just-I only just realized how beautiful you look." I blushed before looking down and clearing my throat.
"Let's just go, idiot." We walked out of the apartment and down the stairs of the apartment building. Luckily the subways were still running at 6:00 at night, so the two of us didn't have to walk across town to get there. When we finally sat down on the subway, I was glad to stop walking.

There were a couple other teenagers in there dressed fancy, but besides them and us the car was empty. I found myself sliding my hand towards Peter, grabbing it tightly. When he squeezed back and lace his fingers with mine, I smiled.
The subway car stopped at our stop and we both got out, hands still linked together. It was only a few more minutes before we reached Liz's house, Peter reaching up to knock on the door. A woman answered, a kind smile on her face and her eyes sparkling.
"Oh, you must be Peter and Y/N! Liz told us you both needed a ride. Come on in!" I said thank you to who I assumed was Liz's mom, walking through the doorway and standing at the base of stairs. Liz's mom called up to her as she told us to sit tight and wait. Liz came down a little bit later, giving us both a smile.

"Dad, come on! We're gonna be late!" Liz yelled down one of the hallways and a mumbling was heard from down the dim construct.
"I'm coming! Give you're old dad a minutes, these legs don't work like they used to." When he rounded the corner, my eyes widened as both mine and Peter's hands gripped each other tighter. My breathing stopped and my heart skipped a beat while I gave Peter a panicked look. "Oh, you must be Y/N and Peter. Glad we could help out, it would have sucked for you to have to have walked."
"Uh, y-yeah. Yeah it would have." Peter just stared at him, eyes wide and a ridiculous look on his face. I can't imagine I looked any better.
"Thanks for, uhm, going out of your way to do this."
"Oh, it's not a problem." He set down the towel he was using to dry the dishes. "Alright, lets head out so we're not late." Me and Peter trailed behind, always staying a few steps behind. We both shared a 'What are we gonna do?' look before sliding into the backseat of the car. Liz sat in the front seat while her dad started the car.

"So, Peter, what do you do when you're not studying away in a classroom?" Peter started messing with his hands when his head snapped up.
"I, uh, I don't do much, really."
"He has an internship with Tony Stark." Liz leaned forward to check her lipstick.
"Oh really? That must be pretty cool, with all the people you get to meet."
"Uh, Yeah I uhm-"
"He's gotten to meet Spider-Man." Both of our eyes widened and I looked at the ground, squeezing my fists tight praying to god that Liz would just shut up. I noticed her dad tense in the rear view mirror.
"Oh really?" His voice sounded strained. "Were you there when the whole Washington Monument thing happened?" His eyes sent daggers through Peter.
"Uh, n-no, I wasn't. I was down at the bottom when it happened."
"Hmmm." His gaze turned to me. "You were there weren't you, Y/N?"
"Uhm, Yeah. It was, uh, pretty scary."
"Some way to spend your first class trip at Midtown huh?" Liz let out a small chuckle while my face went white.
"Wow, first class trip? That's pretty scary."
"Uh, y-yeah." I looked out the window nervously before waiting for Liz to say something else stupid. There was a moment of silence before Liz's dad spoke again.
"Peter, if you know Spider-Man, you must know Spark too...right?" My eyes widened while me and Peter shared an all too obvious glance at each other.
"Uh, n-no. No I don't. She, uh, doesn't come around very often."
"Y/N does though. Right Y/N?" My fists clenched slightly as my leg shook.
"Uh y-yeah. I do. I've, Uh, helped her out with some equipment before." Her dad only looked at me with an all knowing glare that told me my lies were as transparent as I thought.

We finally pulled up to the parking lot of the school after what seemed like way too long of a silence. Liz left the car after saying goodbye but before me and Peter could exit, her dad had locked the door.
"She doesn't know, does she?" He looked at the two of us in the rear view mirror. I just shook my head, hand on the handle and reading to leave as soon as possible. "Look, as much as I appreciate you saving people around this city, I've got a job to do. I'm trying to make money for my family and I really don't appreciate you two coming in and messing it all up. So stay out of my business. Or I'll hunt down and kill every single person you love. Got that?" We both nodded in frozen fear while my hand stayed gripping handle. When the door unlocked I finally opened it, the force slipping the small disc into the hole of the handle.

We stood at the stairs of the school, frozen and confused. I finally grabbed Peter's hand.
"Come on, it's gonna be fine. He said to stay out of it, it's probably best we do." He didn't nod or acknowledge me in any way; he just started walking to the doors. When we finally made it in the gym and saw Ned and MJ, it was like a switch in him flipped.
"I can't stay here." I looked at him with shock on my face.
"Peter you can't go after him. You heard what he said. Plus, lord only knows how dangerous the weapons he has now are."
"I'm not just going to let him get away with stealing things! Look, I know you wanted tonight to be the one night we could both just be normal but our lives aren't normal. And if you won't come with me, I'll go by myself." I let out a sigh and dig around in my bag. I pulled out my phone, the screen blue with a map and a red dot on it.
"If you're gonna go, take this. I planted a gps tracker in the car so you'll know where you're going." I handed him the phone and he stood there, begging me to come with him. "Go." He finally turned around and ran down the hallway as I just stared and watched him go. I turned back around and looked at the dance floor, Ned looking at me confused.

"Dammit." I turned back around and ran down the hallway, pulling my suit out of my bag and unrolling it.
So much for being normal.